When choosing an operating system (OS) for SAP NetWeaver on Google Cloud, in addition to confirming that the OS version is certified by SAP, you also need to confirm that all three companies, SAP, the OS vendor, and Google Cloud, still support the OS version.
Your decision should also take into account:
- Whether a given OS version is available from Google Cloud. The OS images provided by Compute Engine are configured to work with Google Cloud. If an OS is not available from Google Cloud, you can bring your own OS image (BYOI) and license. BYOI OS images are referred to by Compute Engine as custom images.
- The available licensing options for a given OS version. Does it have an on-demand licensing option or do you have to bring-your-own-subscription (BYOS) from the OS vendor?
- Are the integrated high-availability capabilities of a given OS version enabled for GCP?
- The committed use discount option for SAP SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) images.
The following operating systems are certified for use with SAP NetWeaver on Google Cloud:
Quick reference table
The support information in the following table is for quick reference only and does not replace or supersede SAP information regarding which operating systems SAP supports for SAP NetWeaver on Google Cloud. The information below is subject to change by SAP, the OS providers, or Google Cloud.
The OS versions in the following table are certified or are pending certification by SAP for use with SAP NetWeaver on Google Cloud.
|Operating system||SAP certified||OS vendor supported||Runs on Google Cloud||Images provided by Google Cloud|
|RHEL 7.3 for SAP||Deprecated||Deprecated||Deprecated||Discontinued|
|RHEL 7.4 for SAP||Yes||Yes||Yes||On demand|
|RHEL 7.5 for SAP||Yes||Yes||Yes||None|
|RHEL 7.6 for SAP||Yes||Yes||Yes||On demand, GCP-HA|
|RHEL 7.7 for SAP||Yes||Yes||Yes||On demand, GCP-HA|
|RHEL 8.1 for SAP||Yes||Yes||Yes||On demand, GCP-HA|
|RHEL 8.2 for SAP||Yes||Yes||Yes||On demand, GCP-HA|
|SLES 11 SP3 for SAP||Deprecated||Deprecated||Deprecated||Discontinued|
|SLES 11 SP4 for SAP||Yes||Yes||Deprecated||Discontinued|
|SLES 12 SP1 for SAP||Deprecated||Deprecated||Deprecated||Discontinued|
|SLES 12 SP2 for SAP||Yes||Yes||Yes||On demand, BYOS|
|SLES 12 SP3 for SAP||Yes||Yes||Yes||On demand, BYOS, GCP-HA|
|SLES 12 SP4 for SAP||Yes||Yes||Yes||On demand, BYOS, GCP-HA|
|SLES 12 SP5 for SAP||Yes||Yes||Yes||On demand, BYOS, GCP-HA|
|SLES 15 for SAP||Yes||Yes||Yes||On demand, BYOS, GCP-HA|
|SLES 15 SP1 for SAP||Yes||Yes||Yes||On demand, BYOS, GCP-HA|
|SLES 15 SP2 for SAP||Yes||Yes||Yes||On demand, BYOS, GCP-HA|
|Windows Server 2012 R2|
|Windows Server 2012 R2||Yes||Yes||Yes||On demand|
|Windows Server 2016|
|Windows Server 2016||Yes||Yes||Yes||On demand|
|Windows Server 2019|
|Windows Server 2019||Yes||Yes||Yes||On demand|
BYOS: You can apply your existing subscription or license from the OS vendor to the Google-provided OS image. The image that is provided by Google Cloud contains enhancements that might not be included if you bring your own OS image.
GCP-HA: This OS includes integrated high-availability capabilities that are enabled for Google Cloud.
None This OS is not currently available from Google Cloud. You might be able to import it into Google Cloud as a custom image if you bring your own subscription (BYOS) or license from the OS vendor. See Custom images.
On demand: This OS is available from Google Cloud with an on-demand license.
Additional SAP and OS vendor information
To confirm SAP support for an operating system for SAP NetWeaver, see:
- SAP Note 2456432 - SAP Applications on Google Cloud Platform: Supported Products and Google VM types
- SAP Product Availability Matrix
For information from the operating system providers about their support for specific versions of their operating systems, see:
- RHEL for SAP Offerings on Certified Cloud Providers
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Life Cycle
- SUSE Product Support Lifecycle
- Microsoft Lifecycle Policy
For information about the Compute Engine policies for the lifecycle and support for operating system images, see: