If errors occur during the execution of a backup or a recovery, error messages
are displayed in SAP HANA Studio or SAP HANA Cockpit, so check there first for
information about the cause of an error. This information might be displayed in
backint.log trace files. Be sure to select the relevant
database name when multitenant database containers (MDC) are used.
Ensure that you installed the Backint agent as the
If errors occur, review the following logs:
- SAP HANA
backup.log, which contains information about the SAP HANA backup and recovery operations.
- SAP HANA
backint.log, which contains the calls to the backup interface that is used by the Backint agent and other external backup tools.
- Backint agent log files, which contain Backint agent
installation and operational events. The Backint agent log files
are located in
/usr/sap/SID/SYS/global/hdb/opt/backint/backint-gcs/logs. The Backint agent logs can include indications of communication errors with Cloud Storage and related configuration or permissions issues.
- The Google Cloud logs, which can contain errors related to the service account that is used by the Backint agent. To review the Google Cloud logs, see the Logs Explorer page in Google Cloud console.
Also check the disk and network I/O information on the SAP HANA host to verify activity.
For more information about Backint agent logging, see Logging for the Backint agent.
If the Backint agent can't connect to the Cloud Storage bucket, review the configuration steps. In particular, check the following items:
- Retry the failed backup or restore to make sure that the error wasn't just a momentary connectivity issue.
- If you are using the service account of the host VM with the Backint agent, the access scope for Storage is listed as Read Write under Cloud API access scopes on the VM instance details page in the Google Cloud console. If it is not, stop the instance and edit the access scope.
- If you created a service account for the Backint agent:
- On the Permissions tab of the Bucket details page in the Google Cloud console, confirm that the Backint agent service account is listed and that it has the Storage Object Admin role.
- Confirm that you created a private key, stored it on the SAP HANA host,
and correctly specified the path to the JSON key file in the
Backint agent configuration file,
- All parameters are specified correctly in both the
parameters.txtBackint agent configuration file and the SAP HANA
You can test access to the Cloud Storage bucket from the SAP
HANA host by using the Cloud Storage
that is included with the Google Cloud CLI. Using the
gsutil tool, save and
access a text file on the Cloud Storage bucket:
If you are not using the default service account, authenticate with Google Cloud either as a user that is authorized to the Cloud Storage bucket or the Backint agent service account:
gcloud auth login user-accountOr:
gcloud auth activate-service-account --key-file=/path/key-file-name.jsonFor more information about Cloud Storage authentication of a service account, see gsutil authentication.
Confirm that you can list the objects that are stored in the bucket:
gsutil ls gs://bucket/
Create a test file:
Confirm that you can write the test file to the bucket:
gsutil cp test.txt gs://bucket/test.txt
Confirm that you can read the test file in the bucket:
gsutil cp gs://bucket/test.txt
If your throughput is lower than expected, verify that compression is disabled.
To disable compression, add the
#DISABLE_COMPRESSION flag to the
If you get errors while multistreaming, change the number of streams to one (1) to see if the error is related to the number of streams.
For more information about Backint agent logging, see Multistreaming data backups with the Backint agent.