The device manager allows individual devices to be configured and managed securely in a coarse-grained way; management can be done through a console or programmatically. The device manager establishes the identity of a device, and provides the mechanism for authenticating a device when connecting. It also maintains a logical configuration of each device and can be used to remotely control the device from the cloud.
The protocol bridge provides connection endpoints for protocols with automatic load balancing for all device connections. The protocol bridge has native support for secure connection over MQTT, an industry-standard IoT protocol. The protocol bridge publishes all device telemetry to Cloud Pub/Sub, which can then be consumed by downstream analytic systems.
- End-to-end security
- Enable end-to-end security using certificate-based authentication and TLS 1.2; devices running Android Things or supporting the Cloud IoT Core security requirements can deliver full-stack security.
- Single global system
- Connect all devices to Google Cloud over standard protocols, such as MQTT, through the protocol endpoints and manage all your devices as a single global system. The service uses Cloud Pub/Sub underneath, which retains data for 7 days.
- Out-of-box data insights
- Use downstream analytic systems by integrating with Google Big Data Analytics and ML services such as Dataflow, BigQuery, Bigtable, ML, Data Studio, or partner BI tools.
- Fully managed and scalable
- The service is serverless and doesn’t require any upfront software installation. It scales instantly without limits using horizontal scaling of Google Cloud Platform.
- Role-level access control
- Apply IAM roles to device registries to control user access to devices and data
- Device deployment at scale
- Use REST APIs to automatically manage the registration, deployment, and operation of devices at scale
“ Thanks to Google Cloud IoT, we could connect a large fleet of smart meters to the Cloud, and build a smart energy platform that provides a realtime view of power utilization and forecasts demand for power utility providers. ”— Edwin Poot Founder, President & Chief Visionary Officer , Energyworx
“ With Cloud IoT Core, we have been able to connect large fleets of bicycles to the Cloud, and quickly build a smart transportation fleet management tool that provides operators with a real time view of bicycle utilization, distribution and performance metrics, and forecasts demand for our customers. ”— Jose L. Ugia VP Engineering, Noa Technologies
Google Cloud IoT Core is now available in private Beta. Customers invited in the private beta program will not be charged for Cloud IoT Core, and will be charged only for the use of Cloud Pub/Sub, Dataflow, BigQuery and other Cloud services for storage and analysis. Cloud IoT Core pricing will be announced at the upcoming public Beta release.