Database Migration Service pricing
This page describes pricing for Database Migration Service. To see the pricing for other products, read the Pricing documentation.
If you pay in a currency other than USD, then the prices listed in your currency on Google Cloud SKUs apply.
Database Migration Service pricing is different between the two potential migration types:
- Homogenous use cases, where the source and destination are on the same database engine.
- Heterogenous use cases, where the source and destination engines are different.
For Homogenous use cases, Database Migration Service is offered at no additional charge for native migrations to Cloud SQL or AlloyDB for PostgreSQL:
For heterogeneous migrations, pricing is based on gigabytes (GBs) processed. Usage is billed in per-byte increments, on a per-migration job basis, and is stated in GB (500 MB is 0.5 GB, for example). Bytes are counted, based on raw (uncompressed) data.
Homogenous Use cases pricing
|MySQL-native migration or replication to Cloud SQL for MySQL||No additional charge||1,2,3|
|PostgreSQL-native migration or replication to Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL or AlloyDB for PostgreSQL||No additional charge||1,2,3|
Heterogeneous Use cases pricing
Change data capture (CDC) and backfill
Database Migration Service is migrating data from a source to a destination by one of two methods:
- Change data capture (CDC): Database Migration Service captures ongoing changes from the source in real time.
- Backfill: Database Migration Service takes a historical snapshot of data that exists in a table.
Each migration method is charged at a different rate, described in Pricing details.
In this section, you'll see the charges that apply for each migration method when using Database Migration Service.
To see the costs that you'll incur for using Database Migration Service where Database Migration Service is available, select a region from the drop-down menu below.
Database Migration Service CDC costs are tiered, meaning that as your usage increases, the price per GB decreases. The reduced price applies only to usage within the tier (GBs processed in lower tiers will still be charged based on the cost for that tier). Backfill uses a flat rate, but the first 50 GB each month is free. See a detailed example below.
Contact sales for pricing beyond 10 TB (CDC).
As an example, consider a migration job that processes data from a source with the following characteristics:
|Backfill of data currently in the source||600 GB|
|Volume of changes in a month (CDC)||3,000 GB|
|Destination||Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL|
This Database Migration Service will perform a one-time backfill of existing data, as well as capture changes from the source.
Database Migration Service pricing would use the following formula:
Backfill charge = (backfill size - 50 GB) * backfill price = (600 - 50) * $0.40 = $220.00
CDC charge = (2,500 GB * $2.00/GB) + (500 GB * $1.50/GB) = $5,000.00 + $750.00 = $5,750.00
Total Database Migration Service charge = Backfill charge + CDC charge = $220.00 + $5,750.00 = $5,970.00
In this example, additional charges would be incurred for the Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL destination resource used. The Pricing calculator can be used to estimate separate Google Cloud resource costs.
Notes on migration pricing
1. Cloud SQL pricing for MySQL, PostgreSQL and AlloyDB for PostgreSQL applies to Cloud SQL or AlloyDB for PostgreSQL instances created by a migration, and any network charges for migrations across Google Cloud regions.
2. Compute Engine VM pricing applies to usage of a virtual machine if created in the context of reverse-SSH connectivity setup.
Migrations from other platforms
3. There's no additional charge for network ingress from external source databases. However, costs can be incurred outside of Google such as platform egress charges.
- Read the Database Migration Service documentation.
- Get started with Database Migration Service.
- Try the Pricing calculator.
- Learn about Database Migration Service solutions and use cases.