To use the BigQuery Data Transfer Service, you must complete the following steps as a Project Owner:
- Create a project and enable the BigQuery API
- Enroll in the BigQuery Data Transfer Service
- Enable the BigQuery Data Transfer Service
For more information on IAM roles, see Understanding Roles.
Creating a project and enabling the BigQuery API
Before using the BigQuery Data Transfer Service, you must create a project and enable billing. You can use an existing project with the BigQuery Data Transfer Service, or you can create a new one. If you are using an existing project, you may also need to enable the BigQuery API.
To create a project and enable the BigQuery API:
Sign in to your Google account.
If you don't already have one, sign up for a new account.
- Select or create a Cloud Platform project.
- Enable billing for your project.
- BigQuery is automatically enabled in new projects. To activate BigQuery in an existing project, Enable the BigQuery API.
Enrolling in the BigQuery Data Transfer Service
Before using the BigQuery Transfer Service, you must complete the enrollment form. To complete the form, you need the project number for the project containing your transfers.
- Open the Cloud Platform Console. Cloud Platform Console
- If your transfer project isn't selected, at the top of the window, click the project name.
- In the Select project dialog, select your project and then click Open.
- On the Dashboard tab, in the Project Info box, note your project number (below your project ID). The project number is a string of numerals.
- Complete the BigQuery Data Transfer Service enrollment form. Enroll
The enrollment request must be completed by the BigQuery team before you can use the service. Typically, requests are reviewed and approved within 10 minutes, but in some cases approval may take up to 24 hours. When your request is approved, you receive an email confirmation. If you have questions about the status of your enrollment request, contact your Google Cloud Sales Representative.
Enabling the BigQuery Data Transfer Service
Before you can create a transfer, you must enable the BigQuery Data Transfer Service. To enable the BigQuery Data Transfer Service, you must be granted the Project Owner role for your project.
To enable the BigQuery Data Transfer Service:
Go to the BigQuery web UI.
Click Enable to grant permissions to the BigQuery Data Transfer Service. The first time you enable transfers in a project, you are required to grant permissions to the Data Transfer Service. After permissions are granted, you are not prompted again.
Granting bigquery.admin access
All users that will create transfers must be granted the
predefined IAM role. The
bigquery.admin role includes the following
BigQuery Data Transfer Service permissions:
bigquery.admin role also includes
You must have
bigquery.datasets.update permissions in order to write data to
the transfer's destination dataset.
For more information on IAM roles in BigQuery, see Access Control.
bigquery.admin access to a user or Google group:
Open the IAM page in the GCP Console
Click Select a project.
Select a project and click Open.
Click Add to add new members to the project and set their permissions.
In the Add members dialog:
- For Members, enter the email address of the user or group.
- In the Select a role drop-down, click BigQuery > BigQuery Admin.
- Click Add.
You can use the gcloud command-line tool to grant a user or group the
To add a single binding to your project's IAM policy, type the following
command. To add a user, supply the
--member flag in the format
user:firstname.lastname@example.org. To add a group, supply the
--member flag in
gcloud projects add-iam-policy-binding [PROJECT_ID] --member [GROUP/USER]:[ADDRESS] --role roles/bigquery.admin
[PROJECT_ID]is your project ID.
[ADDRESS]is the user or group's email address.
gcloud projects add-iam-policy-binding myproject --member group:email@example.com --role roles/bigquery.admin
The command outputs the updated policy:
bindings: - members: - group:firstname.lastname@example.org role: roles/bigquery.admin
After enabling the BigQuery Data Transfer Service, create a transfer for your data source: