You can create an instance from an existing instance by going to the VM instance details page of the Google Cloud Console . When you create an instance by clicking Create similar, the Cloud Console creates an instance with the same configuration as the source instance but does not copy any data stored on the persistent disks or the existing instance.
You can only use this feature in the Cloud Console; this feature is
not supported in the
gcloud tool or the API.
Creating a similar instance
- Go to the VM instances page.
- Click the name of the instance you want to clone. The VM instance details page opens.
In the toolbar at the top of the VM instance details page, click Create similar.
The Cloud Console copies the configuration and opens the Create an instance page.
In the Create an instance page, customize your new instance. For information about the settings, see the Console tab in Creating an instance from an image.
When you have finished, click Create.
- Add persistent disks to your new instance.
- Transfer files to your new instance.
- Create an instance from an image.
- Create an instance from an instance template.
- Connect to your instance.