Flexibility for Every Workload
Resize your clusters, create machine images, virtualize your network, use Preemptible VMs for batch workloads and create Custom Machine Types to optimize for your specific needs. Our pricing model won't lock you into obsolete machine types with upfront agreements.
// CREATE INSTANCE WITH 4 vCPUs and 5 GB MEMORY gcloud compute instances create my-vm --custom-cpu 4 --custom-memory 5 // ENABLE PREEMPTIBLE OPTION gcloud compute instances create my-vm --zone us-central1-b --preemptible
- Predefined Machine Types
- Compute Engine offers predefined virtual machine configurations for every need from micro instances to instances with up to 160 vCPUs and 3.75 TB of system memory.
- Custom Machine Types
- Create virtual machines with the shape (i.e. vCPU and memory) that is right for your workloads. By tailoring a Custom Machine Type to your specific needs you can realize significant savings.
- Persistent Disks
- Network storage, up to 64 TB in size, can be attached to VMs as persistent disks. You can create persistent disks in HDD or SSD formats. If a VM instance is terminated, its persistent disk retains data and can be attached to another instance. You can also take snapshots of your persistent disk and create new persistent disks from that snapshot.
- Local SSD
- Compute Engine offers always-encrypted local solid-state drive (SSD) block storage. Unlike standard persistent disks, local SSDs are physically attached to the server hosting the virtual machine instance offering very high input/output operations per second (IOPS) and very low latency compared to persistent disks. Local SSD sizes up to 3 TB are available for any VM with at least 1 vCPU.
- Transparent Maintenance
- Our innovative datacenters and Live Migration technology enable proactive infrastructure maintenance, improving reliability and security. Your live VMs are automatically moved to nearby hosts, even if your VMs are under extreme load, while underlying host machines undergo maintenance. You won't have to reboot your VMs due to host software updates or even some classes of detectable hardware failure.
- Global Load Balancing
- Global load-balancing technology helps you distribute incoming requests across pools of instances across multiple regions, so you can achieve maximum performance, throughput and availability at low cost.
- Linux & Windows Support
- Run your choice of OS, including Debian, CentOS, CoreOS, SUSE, Ubuntu, Red Hat Enterprise Linux , FreeBSD, or Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012 R2, and 2016. You can also use a shared image from the Cloud Platform community, or bring your own.
- Batch Processing
- Cost effectively run large compute and batch jobs using Preemptible VMs. Fixed pricing and no contracts or reservations make it easy: simply check a box when you create the VM and turn them off when the work is done.
- Compliance & Security
- All data written to persistent disk in Compute Engine is encrypted on the fly and then transmitted and stored in encrypted form. Google Compute Engine has completed ISO 27001, SSAE-16, SOC 1, SOC 2, and SOC 3 certifications, demonstrating our commitment to information security.
- Per-Second Billing
- Google bills in second-level increments. You pay only for the compute time that you use.
- Automatic Discounts
- With Sustained Use Discounts, we automatically give you discounted prices for long-running workloads with no sign-up fees or up-front commitment.
- Commitment savings
- With Committed Use Discounts you can save up to 57% with no upfront costs or instance-type lockin.
- Run, manage and orchestrate Docker containers on Compute Engine VMs with Google Kubernetes Engine.
“ Since no existing cloud rendering solution could address our needs at that scale, we decided to develop our own software atop Google Cloud Platform. Google's efficiency, availability of resources, and per-second billing formed the back-end of a product we call Conductor. ”- Kevin Baillie Atomic Fiction