The Cost Breakdown report gives you an at-a-glance waterfall view of how much you would have spent at the on-demand price for your Google Cloud usage, and how usage-based credits saved you money on your invoice. If your Cloud Billing account is associated with a negotiated contract, then starting with your July 2020 invoice month, you will also see a credit for your negotiated savings.
Required permissions to access the cost breakdown report
Specifically, to view this report, you must have the following permission on your Cloud Billing account:
For more information about billing permissions, see:
- Overview of Cloud Billing access control
- Create custom roles for Cloud Billing
- Cloud Billing API access control
- Understanding predefined IAM roles for Cloud Billing
Accessing the report
To view the Cost Breakdown report for your Cloud Billing account:
Sign in to the Google Cloud Console.
Open the Cloud Console Navigation menu, and then select Billing.
If you have more than one Cloud Billing account, do one of the following:
- To manage Cloud Billing for the current project, select Go to linked billing account.
- To locate a different Cloud Billing account, select Manage billing accounts and then choose the account that you want to manage.
From the Billing navigation menu, select Cost breakdown.
How to read the cost breakdown chart
From left to right, the chart displays bars for charges, then credits, then subtotal, then any invoice-level charges, and then total.
The chart starts by showing you the amount you would have paid for a given invoice month if you were charged only at the on-demand rate for your Google Cloud usage. Then, the report shows you how much you saved, broken out by credit type (for example, committed use discounts and sustained use discounts). Finally, it shows your invoice-level charges such as tax and adjustments (if any) applied for that invoice month.
Starting with the July 2020 invoice, if your Cloud Billing account is associated with a negotiated pricing contract, cost at list pricing will be displayed on the report.
For a Cloud Billing account associated with on-demand pricing (and for all invoices prior to July 2020), the cost breakdown report displays a Usage cost column, along with any applicable credits and invoice-level charges:
For a Cloud Billing account associated with a negotiated pricing contract, starting with your July 2020 invoice, the cost breakdown report displays a List cost column, and a negotiated savings column, as well as any other applicable credits and invoice-level charges:
Configure your report view
You have a few options available to configure the display of your cost breakdown report.
To customize your online report view, do any of the following:
- Choose the invoice month: The cost breakdown report displays data for an invoice month. Use the drop-down selector above the chart to choose the Invoice month you want to view.
Select the chart unit: You can toggle the chart units between currency ($) and percent (%) by selecting the preferred option in the top-left, above the chart.
Report summary: Below the chart is a summary table of the information in the chart. The cost breakdown chart total should match what appears on your invoice.
- When you hover over a row in the summary table, the corresponding bar in the chart above is emphasized.
- Click the View report links to take you to the corresponding Reports page where you can view the details behind particular cost bars.
The cost breakdown chart currently shows the following, if applicable to your Cloud Billing. Note that if you do not incur these types of charges or credits, you will not see these items on your report.
- Usage cost: Displays for Cloud Billing accounts not associated with a negotiated pricing contract. Also, when viewing invoice months prior to July 2020, the Usage cost bar displays for all Cloud Billing accounts.
- List cost: Starting with your July 2020 invoice, the List cost bar displays for Cloud Billing accounts associated with a negotiated pricing contract, and represents the monthly cost of your cloud usage calculated using list prices. For Cloud Billing accounts associated with a negotiated pricing contract, when viewing invoice months prior to July 2020, this bar is labeled Usage cost, and represents the monthly cost of your cloud usage calculated using your negotiated prices.
Negotiated savings: Starting with your July 2020 invoice, the Negotiated savings bar displays for Cloud Billing accounts associated with a negotiated pricing contract, and represents your cost savings realized with your contract prices compared to list prices.
Note that for Cloud Billing accounts associated with a negotiated pricing contract, when viewing invoice months prior to July 2020, the Negotiated savings bar is not displayed, and the Usage cost bar represents the monthly cost of your cloud usage calculated using your negotiated prices.
Committed use discounts (CUDs): The gross savings you realized from your commitments. Learn more about committed use discounts.
To analyze the details and the effectiveness of the committed use discounts you purchased, view the CUD analysis reports.
Sustained use discounts (Compute Engine): The total savings from your Compute Engine instance usage that wasn't covered by a committed use discount, but was eligible for sustained use discounts. Learn more about sustained use discounts.
Free tier usage: Some products offer free resource usage up to specified limits. This is the total savings you received from free tier usage. Learn more about free tiers.
Spending-based discounts: The total savings you earned after a contractual spending threshold is reached.
Promotional credits: The total savings you received from promotional credits (such as free trial credits or one-time marketing or other credits).
See Cloud Billing Reports to learn more about credits.
- Adjustments: The total of any adjustments that were applied to your invoice (if applicable).
- Tax: The total taxes that applied to your usage for the invoice month.
Learn more about invoice-level charges:
- See the Cost Table report for a detailed, tabular view of your monthly costs for a given invoice or statement (by invoice month).
- See Cloud Billing Reports for an at-a-glance report view of charges by invoice, including invoice-level charges.
Not on the chart
The following is not shown on the cost breakdown chart:
- BigQuery flat rate savings: The cost of BigQuery flat rate is included in the Usage cost bar; we don't currently break out the savings you achieved from purchasing BigQuery flat rate.
- Cloud Storage Growth plan: The cost of Cloud Storage is included in the Usage cost bar; we don't currently break out the savings you achieved from purchasing the Cloud Storage Growth plan.
- Promotional or negotiated pricing: For Cloud Billing accounts associated with a negotiated pricing contract, when viewing invoice months prior to July 2020, the cost of resources in the Usage cost bar reflects the net price after negotiated pricing is applied. To view your prices per SKU, see the Pricing table report or export your Cloud Billing prices to BigQuery. If you have questions regarding pricing, contact your Account Representative for more details.