This page lists resources to show you how to migrate your containerized applications to Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE).
GKE provides a managed environment for deploying, managing, and scaling your containerized applications using Google Cloud infrastructure.
GKE works with containerized applications. These are applications packaged into platform independent, isolated user-space instances, for example by using Docker.
For more information about migrating your containerized workloads to GKE, refer to following documents:
- Use Migrate containers to Google Cloud: Migrate Kubernetes to GKE to learn how to migrate from a self-managed Kubernetes environment to GKE.
- Use Migrate containers to Google Cloud: Migrate to a multi-cluster GKE environment to learn how to migrate from a single-cluster GKE environment to a multi-cluster GKE environment.
- Migrate containers to Google Cloud: Migrate to a multi-cluster GKE environment with Multi Cluster Ingress and Multi-Cluster Service Discovery to learn how to migrate from a single-cluster GKE environment to a multi-cluster GKE environment with minimal downtime using Multi Cluster Ingress and Multi-Cluster Service Discovery.
Migrate for GKE
Migrate for GKE is a tool to containerize existing VM-based applications to run on GKE. By taking advantage of the GKE ecosystems, Migrate for GKE provides a fast and simple way to modernized orchestration and application management without requiring access to source code or rewriting and re-architecting applications.
Migrate for GKE migration sources
Use Migrate for GKE to containerize Linux and Windows VMs running on VMware, AWS, Azure, or Compute Engine.
Migrate for GKE provides tools to help you determine the workload's fit for migration to a container. These tools output a report describing the analysis results for the VM, including a list of any issues that must be resolved before migration, and an overall fit assessment.
For more information, see Using the fit assessment tool
Get an introduction to key Migrate for GKE concepts
For an introduction to the value of Migrate for GKE, as well as high-level overviews, see the following topics:
- Open the Migrate for GKE page in the Google Cloud console.
- Watch a set of videos that demonstrate how you can easily migrate and containerize your application.
- For the benefits of migrating to GKE with Migrate and GKE, see Benefits of Migrate for GKE.
- For more on how Migrate for GKE performs migrations, see Architecture.
Get started with a quickstart
Use this quickstart to migrate a simple Compute Engine VM. This introduces you to the basic steps you'd perform for most Linux migrations.
Complete the migration tutorial for a service and database
Use the Migrating a monolith VM tutorial, to learn how to move a service and its database from a VM to a GKE environment, with no code changes. The sample application used is Bank of Anthos, a simulation of a retail banking service, complete with its own transaction processing network and databases.
- Use Migrating VMs to containers with Migrate to Containers to learn how to design and implement a migration plan for VM-based workloads to containers.
- Migrate for GKE product overview
- Migrate for GKE documentation