Metrics Explorer lets you build charts for any metric collected by your project:
- You can save charts you create with Metrics Explorer to a dashboard.
- You can share charts you create with Metrics Explorer by their URL.
- You can view the configuration for charts you create with Metrics Explorer in their JSON format.
- You can use Metrics Explorer as a tool to explore data that you don't need on a dashboard.
The following screenshot shows a metric charted on the Metrics Explorer page:
The Metrics Explorer interface consists of two primary regions:
- A configuration region with two tabs:
- Use the Metric tab to select the metric to explore. This tab brings up the metric-selector UI. For detailed information on how to select the metric of interest, see Selecting metrics.
- Use the View Options tab to change the display characteristics of the chart. This tab brings up the chart-configuration UI.
- A chart showing the selected metric.
Using Metrics Explorer
To view the metrics for a monitored resource using Metrics Explorer, do the following:
In the Google Cloud Console, go to Monitoring or use the following button:
If you have never used Cloud Monitoring, then on your first access of Monitoring in the Google Cloud Console, a Workspace is automatically created and your project is associated with that Workspace. Otherwise, if your project isn't associated with a Workspace, then a dialog appears and you can either create a Workspace or add your project to an existing Workspace. We recommend that you create a Workspace. After you make your selection, click Add.
In the Monitoring navigation pane, click Metrics Explorer.
Specify the data to appear on the chart. For detailed information about the fields set in this step, see Selecting metrics.
Ensure the Metric tab is selected:
Complete the Find resource type and metric box. You can select values from the menus, or you can enter the name.
(Optional) To specify a subset of data to include, add filters to the Filter field.
(Optional) To define define how multiple time series are combined and how each time series is processed, update the aggregation fields:
- To group time series by a label, use the Group By field. Selecting a value for this field automatically selects a value for the Aggregator field.
- To specify how multiple time series are combined, set the Aggregator field.
- To configure the processing algorithm for individual time series, click Advanced Options.
(Optional) The default view option for a chart is a line chart displayed in color mode. However, you can change both of these settings:
To change the chart mode, select the View options tab, and then select from the chart-mode menu. For more information on your choices, see View options.
To change the display-style for a chart, click Line to expand the pull-down menu. After you make a selection, that selection is listed adjacent to the pull-down menu. For examples of all chart types, see Dashboard widgets.
(Optional) You can display multiple metrics on a single chart. If you want to display another metric, click Add Metric and repeat the previous two steps. A chart can display a maximum of 10 metrics.
(Optional) To add the chart to a dashboard, click Save Chart, and then complete the dialog. You can save the chart to an existing dashboard or you can create a dashboard.
- For information on the Metric tab, including aggregation and other options, see Selecting metrics.
- For information about creating and managing dashboards, see Using dashboards and charts.
- For information on creating charts, see Creating charts.
- For information on configuring the chart mode, see Setting view options.
- For information on using the chart to explore your data, see Working with charts.