Metrics Explorer lets you build ad-hoc charts for any metric collected by your project. You can use Metrics Explorer to explore data that you might not necessarily need on a dashboard, although charts built with Metrics Explorer can be saved to dashboards. You can also create a URL for the chart so it can be shared.
The following screenshot shows a metric charted on the Metrics Explorer page:
The Metrics Explorer interface consists of two primary regions:
- A configuration region with two tabs:
- Use the Metric tab to select the metric to explore. This tab brings up the metric-selector UI. For detailed information on how to select the metric of interest, see Selecting metrics.
- Use the View Options tab to change the display characteristics of the chart. This tab brings up the chart-configuration UI.
- A chart showing the selected metric.
Shared components and documentation
The components of the Metrics Explorer page are used in multiple places. For example, the Add Chart page, used for creating a chart to add to a dashboard, is nearly indistinguishable from Metrics Explorer, offering the same tabs and chart region. The page for creating alerting-policy conditions uses the same metric selector for selecting a target monitored by the alerting policy.
Because these components are shared, they also share documentation. Using charts describes the charts created and used in both Metrics Explorer and on dashboards. The following sections are the most important:
- For information on the Metric tab, including aggregation and other options, see Selecting metrics.
- For information on the View Options tab, see Setting view options.
- For information on using the chart to explore your data, see Working with charts.
Finding Metrics Explorer
To bring up Metrics Explorer, follow Resources > Metrics Explorer on the Stackdriver console.