Create a private cloud by using VMware Engine
This quickstart explains how to set up Google Cloud VMware Engine and create a private cloud.
Before you begin
To perform the steps in this quickstart, you need access to Google Cloud VMware Engine, available VMware Engine node quota, and an appropriate IAM role. Prepare the following requirements before you proceed:
- Request API access and node quota
- Verify that you're familiar with the address ranges you want to use for VMware management appliances and the HCX deployment network. For details, see Networking requirements.
- Have the
VMware Engine Service AdminIAM role.
For more information, see VMware Engine IAM roles and permissions.
Create a private cloud
- Access the VMware Engine portal
- On the VMware Engine Home page, click Create a private cloud. The hosting location and hardware node type are listed.
- Select the number of nodes for the private cloud. For production workloads, create your private cloud with at least 3 nodes. VMware Engine deletes private clouds that contain only 1 node after 60 days.
- Optional: Click the Customize Cores toggle if you want to reduce the number of available cores for each node in the management cluster. For details, see Custom core counts.
- Enter a CIDR range for the VMware management network. Make sure that the CIDR range doesn't overlap with any of your on-premises or cloud subnets.
- Enter a CIDR range for the HCX deployment network, which is used for deploying HCX components. Make sure that the CIDR range doesn't overlap with any of your on-premises or cloud subnets. The CIDR range must be /27 or higher.
- Select Review and create.
- Review the settings. To change any settings, click Back.
- Click Create to begin creating the private cloud.
As VMware Engine creates your new private cloud, it deploys a number of VMware components and divides the provided IP address range into subnets. Private cloud creation can take 30 minutes to 2 hours. After the provisioning is complete, you receive an email.
Connect to your private cloud
To connect to your private cloud vCenter server, establish a secure connection from your network to the private cloud. You can use any of the following options to create a secure connection:
- Connect an on-premises network to VMware Engine private cloud
- Connect using a point-to-site VPN connection
- Get management appliance sign-in credentials for your private cloud.
- Configure internet access for workload VMs for your private cloud.