By Kenneth Hui, Technical Marketing Engineer, Rubrik
This article describes the benefits of using Rubrik, a cloud data management platform that manages, protects, and archives data. The benefits of using Cloud Storage and Rubrik Cloud Data Management (CDM) include the ability to:
- Automate long-term data retention to Cloud Storage
- Access files instantly in the cloud with predictive search
- Protect data with encryption in transit and at rest for all data sent to Cloud Storage
Rubrik unifies data management and protection in a single software platform that spans on-premises and public cloud environments. Rubrik CDM is designed to remove the complexity often involved with protecting and managing the lifecycle of user data. Rubrik CDM is built on a scale-out architecture that lets you manage Rubrik instances as a single system and add more nodes as your environment grows.
A deployment of Rubrik CDM with Cloud Storage has one or more appliances, managed as a single system, protecting on-premises data. That data resides on physical servers, virtualized infrastructures, relational databases, or NAS file systems. Once data is protected and stored in Rubrik CDM, send it to Cloud Storage for long-term retention and archiving.
Client-side encryption, performed by Rubrik CDM, uses the AES-256 symmetric encryption algorithm. All data sent to Cloud Storage is encrypted at rest by Rubrik CDM, transmitted over an encrypted tunnel using Transport Layer Security (TLS), and encrypted at rest again by Cloud Storage.
Choose to store data in any of the Cloud Storage classes and automatically move that data between classes based on self-defined lifecycle policies. Rubrik CDM tracks data sent to Cloud Storage as it moves between storage classes and maintains any retention policy.
By leveraging Cloud Storage classes, you can map how frequently data is accessed. This approach allows you to place less frequently accessed cold data in lower-cost Cloud Storage classes.
Value of combining Rubrik CDM with Cloud Storage
How Rubrik CDM manages data:
- Leverages incremental snapshots to reduce the amount and cost of Cloud Storage by uploading and storing the data that changed between snapshots.
- Enables you to quickly browse and search for any file across all snapshots because every snapshot is indexed before it is stored in Cloud Storage.
- Minimizes egress bandwidth and transfer costs because when you retrieve a file, Rubrik CDM sends back only the specific data blocks of a file instead of the entire snapshot.
- Stores metadata with every snapshot so that in case the original Rubrik CDM instance is unavailable, you can retrieve data quickly using a new instance.
Using Rubrik CDM and Cloud Storage simplifies your cloud data management:
- Reduces the amount of time you spend on data management tasks through a policy-driven SLA engine.
- Increases data recovery reliability by replacing expensive and unreliable tapes.
- Reduces the recovery time in a disaster recovery scenario where you need to retrieve data off-premises.
Data management lifecycle
Typical data management lifecycle with Rubrik CDM and Cloud Storage:
- Send protected data to Standard Cloud Storage after storing it for 30 days on-premises in Rubrik CDM.
- Automatically move data to Cloud Storage Nearline storage after 60 days.
- Automatically move data from Cloud Storage Nearline to Cloud Storage Coldline storage after 90 days for long-term archiving. Data is retained anywhere from one year to indefinitely.
- Rubrik with Google Cloud Partner Page
- Want Google Cloud for Data Retention? Rubrik Has You Covered! Blog Post
- Data Archival Across Clouds" with Rubrik Datasheet
- Heroes of the Archive Universe Solutions Brief
- Explore reference architectures, diagrams, tutorials, and best practices about Google Cloud. Take a look at our Cloud Architecture Center.