VPN gateways let you remotely connect to the VMware Engine network from a client computer.
To establish point-to-site connections from your computer to your private cloud, use VPN gateway on VMware Engine as described on this page. You can create only one point-to-site VPN gateway per region.
Automatic addition of user
A point-to-site VPN gateway lets you define an automatic addition policy for new users. By default, all owners and contributors of the subscription have access to the VMware Engine portal. Users are created only when the portal is launched for the first time. Selecting Automatically add rules enables any new user to access the network using a point-to-site VPN connection.
Set up a point-to-site VPN gateway
Access the Google Cloud VMware Engine portal and select Network.
Select VPN gateway.
Click New VPN gateway.
For Gateway configuration, specify the following settings, and click Next.
- Enter a name to identify the gateway.
- Select the location where your VMware Engine service is hosted.
- Specify the client subnet for the point-to-site gateway. DHCP address to your device is provided by the client subnet.
For Users, specify the following settings, and click Next.
- To automatically allow all current and future users to access the private cloud through the point-to-site gateway, select Automatically add all users. When you select this option, all users in the user list are automatically selected. You can override the automatic option by clearing the checkbox for individual users in the list.
- To select individual users, select their checkboxes in the user list.
The Subnets section lets you specify management and user subnets for the gateway.
- The Automatically add options set the global policy for the gateway. The settings apply to the current gateway. The settings can be overridden in the Select area.
- Select Add management subnets of private clouds.
- To add all user-defined subnets, click Add user-defined subnets.
- The Select settings override the global settings under Automatically add.
Click Next to review the settings. Click the Edit icons to make any changes.
Click Create to create the VPN gateway.
Client subnet and protocols for point-to-site VPN gateways
The point-to-site VPN gateway allows TCP and UDP connections. Choose the protocol to use when you connect from your computer by selecting the TCP or UDP configuration.
The configured client subnet is used for both TCP and UDP clients. The CIDR prefix is divided into two subnets, one for TCP and one for UDP clients. Choose the prefix mask based on the number of VPN users who will connect concurrently.
The following table lists the number of concurrent client connections by prefix mask.
|Number of concurrent TCP connections||124||60||28||12||4|
|Number of concurrent UDP connections||124||60||28||12||4|
- To connect to your private cloud using point-to-site VPN, see Connect to VMware Engine using point-to-site VPN.