Contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions, need support, or would like to offer feedback.
The Ops Agent combines logging and metrics into a single agent and is targeted toward specialized logging workloads that require higher throughput and/or improved resource-efficiency compared to the standard Cloud Logging agent. You should choose the Ops Agent if you have such a workload and the agent's supported feature set meets your needs. If not, you should use the standard Logging and Monitoring agents.
To install the Ops Agent, see Installing the Ops Agent.
Ops Agent features
Overall features include:
- Single download and installation/upgrade process.
- Simple, unified, YAML-based configuration.
- Support for standard Linux and Windows distros.
Logging features include:
- Standard system logs (
/var/log/messagesfor Linux, Windows Event Log) collected with no setup.
- High throughput capability, taking full advantage of multi-core architecture.
- Efficient resource (e.g. memory, CPU) management.
- Custom log files.
- JSON logs.
- Plain text logs.
- Regex-based parsing.
- JSON-based parsing.
- Support for pre-defined log-file formats including standard third-party applications, such as nginx.
Monitoring features include:
- System metrics collected with no setup.
Metrics collected include:
Virtual machine instances
You can install the Ops Agent on Compute Engine instances.
To create a Compute Engine instance, see Compute Engine getting started guide.
The Ops Agent supports the following operating systems on compatible VM instances.
Linux operating systems
The agent supports the following Linux operating systems:
- CentOS 7
- CentOS 8
- RHEL 7: rhel-7, rhel-7-4-sap, rhel-7-6-sap-ha, rhel-7-7-sap-ha
- RHEL 8: rhel-8, rhel-8-1-sap
- Debian 9 (Stretch)
- Debian 10 (Buster)
- SLES 12: sles-12, sles-12-sp2-sap, sles-12-sp3-sap, sles-12-sp4-sap, sles-12-sp5-sap
- SLES 15: sles-15, sles-15-sap, sles-15-sp1-sap, sles-15-sp2-sap
- OpenSUSE Leap: opensuse-leap (opensuse-leap-15, opensuse-leap-15-1, opensuse-leap-15-2)
- Ubuntu LTS 16.04 (Xenial Xerus): ubuntu-1604-lts, ubuntu-minimal-1604-lts
- Ubuntu LTS 18.04 (Bionic Beaver): ubuntu-1804-lts, ubuntu-minimal-1804-lts
- Ubuntu LTS 20.04 (Focal Fossa): ubuntu-2004-lts, ubuntu-minimal-2004-lts
Windows operating systems
The agent supports the following Windows operating systems:
- Windows Server: windows-2012-r2, windows-2016, windows-2019
- Windows Server Core: windows-2012-r2-core, windows-2016-core, windows-2019-core, windows-1909-core
Agent access requirements
Installing the agent requires access to the following DNS name:
- Google Cloud package repository:
Running the agent requires access to the following DNS names:
OAuth2 token server:
The Ops Agent is subject to the Agents deprecation policy.
For deprecation information for legacy features and versions, refer to Google Cloud's operations suite deprecations.
- To install the Ops Agent, see Installing the Ops Agent.