- Traffic Management
- Use dynamic configuration to impose routing rules, letting you control canary deployments, blue/green deployments, client-side load balancing and more.
- Metric Reporting
- Istio produces detailed monitoring data about application and network behavior rendered using Prometheus & Grafana. Easily extend it to send metrics and logs to any collection, aggregation and querying system.
- Istio logs service calls on the mesh and can send them to a wide array of logging tools.
- Zipkin integration provides tracing on calls on the mesh, enabling deep insight into the performance of distributed applications.
- Authentication and authorization
- To strongly authenticate and encrypt each call, Istio issues a certificate for every service running in the mesh and transparently layers in mutual TLS.
- Network reliability
- Impose retries, load balancing, flow-control (HTTP/2) and circuit-breaking, all without changing your code
“ Getting consistent visibility into who runs which micro services has become increasingly challenging with their growing success and broader adoption across workloads. Deploying Istio immediately provides deep visibility and insights into our services in real-time in a uniform manner, regardless of which language our services are built in. This consistent visibility helps us resolve issues quicker and improve the robustness of our services. ”- Tim Kelton, Co-Founder Descartes Labs
Istio on Kubernetes Engine
Install Istio on Kubernetes Engine and deploy an Istio-enabled application.Learn more
Istio with Compute Engine
Integrate Compute Engine VMs into an Istio mesh deployed on Kubernetes Engine.Learn More
Help make Istio better by contributing to the OSS codebase.Learn more