To help you monitor connections, Cloud Interconnect reports metrics to Cloud Monitoring. Monitoring these metrics can help you troubleshoot issues with your physical circuits (Interconnect connections) or VLAN attachments.
For Dedicated Interconnect, Cloud Interconnect reports measurements for the Interconnect connections and VLAN attachments. For Partner Interconnect, Cloud Interconnect reports measurements for VLAN attachments only.
Google starts reporting Interconnect connection metrics after Google allocates your ports, even before your connection is ready to use. That way, you can monitor the circuits while they're being set up and tested.
Google starts reporting VLAN attachment metrics right after you create the attachment. Google reports the number of packets and bytes sent and received.
Data is reported in one-minute intervals to Monitoring and is retained in Monitoring for 6 weeks.
Metrics and resource types
For more information about Cloud Interconnect metrics, see the following links from the Cloud Monitoring documentation:
- View a list of Cloud Interconnect metrics
- View details for the
interconnect_attachmentmonitored resource types
Viewing metrics in the Google Cloud Console
On the Cloud Interconnect page in the Google Cloud Console, you can view the activity for VLAN attachments and Dedicated Interconnect connections.
To view the monitoring information for a Dedicated Interconnect connection, follow these steps:
In the Google Cloud Console, go to the Cloud Interconnect Physical connections tab.
Select the Interconnect connection to view.
On the Interconnect connection details page, select the Monitoring tab.
For Dedicated Interconnect connections, the Cloud Console shows the following activity for the selected timeframe (by default, the Cloud Console shows the past hour's activity):
- Utilization rate (bytes received and sent) compared to its overall capacity.
- Received bytes by VLAN attachment.
- Sent bytes by VLAN attachment.
- Number of outbound drops and number of inbound and outbound errors.
- Light levels for Tx and Rx optical power. For 100-Gbps circuits, four light levels are published, one for each of the wavelengths used.
To view the monitoring information for a VLAN attachment, follow these steps:
In the Google Cloud Console, go to the Cloud Interconnect VLAN attachments tab.
Select the VLAN attachment to view.
On the VLAN attachment details page, select the Monitoring tab.
For each VLAN attachment, the Cloud Console shows the bytes received and sent compared to its total capacity for the selected timeframe (by default, the Cloud Console shows the past hour's activity).
Viewing metrics in Cloud Monitoring
To use Metrics Explorer to view the metrics for a monitored resource, follow these steps:
- In the Google Cloud Console, go to the Monitoring page.
- In the Monitoring navigation pane, click Metrics Explorer.
- Ensure that Metric is the selected tab.
- In the Find resource type and metric field, select from the menu or enter the name for the resource and metric. Use the following information to complete the fields:
- To modify how the data is displayed, use the Filter, Group By, and Aggregator menus. For example, you can group by resource or metric labels. For more information, see Selecting metrics.
Defining alerting policies
You can create alerting policies to monitor the values of metrics and to notify you when those metrics violate a condition.
To create an alerting policy that monitors one or more interconnect resources, follow these steps:
- In the Google Cloud Console, go to the Monitoring page.
- In the Monitoring navigation pane, select notificationsAlerting, and then select Create policy.
- Click Add condition:
- The settings in the Target pane specify the resource and metric to be monitored. In the Find resource type and metric field, select the resource interconnect. Next, select a metric from the interconnect metrics list.
- The settings in the Configuration pane of the alerting policy determine when the alert is triggered. Most fields in this pane are populated with default values. For more information about the fields in the pane, see Configuration in the Alerting policies documentation.
- Click Add.
- To advance to the notifications section, click Next.
- Optional: To add notifications to your alerting policy, click
Notification channels. In the dialog, select one or more notification
channels from the menu, and then click OK.
If a notification channel that you want to add isn't listed, then click Manage notification channels. You are taken to the Notification channels page in a new browser tab. From this page, you can update the configured notification channels. After you have completed your updates, return to the original tab, click autorenewRefresh, and then select the notification channels to add to the alerting policy.
- To advance to the documentation section, click Next.
- Click Name and enter a name for the alerting policy.
- Optional: Click Documentation, and then add any information that you want included in a notification message.
- Click Save.
Creating custom Monitoring dashboards
You can create custom Monitoring dashboards over Cloud Interconnect metrics by adding custom charts.
To create custom Monitoring dashboards, follow these steps:
In the Google Cloud Console, go to the Monitoring page.
Select Dashboards, and then click Create dashboard.
Name the dashboard, and then click Add chart.
Specify a name for the chart.
To query and view metrics for your Interconnect connections and VLAN attachments, see the Cloud Monitoring API.
To learn more about Cloud Interconnect options, see the Cloud Interconnect overview.
To help you solve common issues that you might encounter when using Cloud Interconnect, see Troubleshooting.