To help you monitor connections, Cloud Interconnect reports metrics to Cloud Monitoring. Monitoring these metrics can help you troubleshoot issues with your physical circuits (interconnects) or VLAN attachments. For Dedicated Interconnect, Cloud Interconnect reports measurements for the interconnect and VLAN attachments. For Partner Interconnect, Cloud Interconnect reports measurements for VLAN attachments only.
Google starts reporting interconnect metrics after Google allocates your ports, even before your interconnect is ready to use. That way, you can monitor the circuits while they're being set up and tested.
Google starts reporting VLAN attachment metrics right after you create the attachment. Google reports the number of packets and bytes sent and received.
Data is reported in one minute intervals to Monitoring and is retained in Monitoring for 6 weeks.
Metrics and resource types
- To see a list of the Cloud Interconnect metrics, view the Metrics List in the Monitoring documentation.
- To see the details for the
interconnect_attachmentmonitored resource types, view Monitored Resource Types in the Monitoring documentation.
Viewing metrics in the Cloud Interconnect console
In the Cloud Interconnect console, you can view the activity for VLAN attachments and Dedicated Interconnects.
To view the monitoring information for a Dedicated Interconnect:
- Go to the Cloud Interconnect Physical connections tab in the
Google Cloud Console.
Go to Physical connections tab
- Select the interconnect to view.
In the interconnect details page, select the Monitoring tab.
For Dedicated Interconnects, the console shows the following activity for the selected time frame (by default the console shows the past hour's activity):
- Utilization rate (bytes received and sent) compared to its overall capacity
- Received bytes by VLAN attachment
- Sent bytes by VLAN attachment
- Number of outbound drops and the number of inbound and outbound errors
- Light levels for Tx and Rx optical power. For 100G circuits, four light levels are published, one for each of the wavelengths used.
To view the monitoring information for a VLAN attachment:
- Go to the Cloud Interconnect VLAN attachments tab in the
Google Cloud Console.
Go to the VLAN attachments tab
- Select the VLAN attachment to view.
In the VLAN attachment details page, select the Monitoring tab.
For each VLAN attachment, the console shows the bytes received and sent compared to its total capacity for the selected time frame (by default the console shows the past hour's activity).
Viewing metrics in Cloud Monitoring
To view the metrics for a monitored resource using Metrics Explorer, do the following:
- In the Google Cloud Console navigation pane, select Monitoring:
Go to Google Cloud Console
If this is the first access of Cloud Monitoring for this Google Cloud project, then Cloud Monitoring creates a Workspace. Typically, this process is automatic and completes within a few minutes. If prompted to either select a Workspace or to create a Workspace, select create.
- In the Monitoring navigation pane, click Metrics Explorer.
- Ensure Metric is the selected tab.
- Click in the box labeled Find resource type and metric, and then select from the menu or enter the name for the resource and metric. Use the following information to complete the fields for this text box:
- Use the Filter, Group By, and Aggregator menus to modify how the data is displayed. For example, you can group by resource or metric labels. For more information, see Selecting metrics.
Defining alerting policies
You can create alerting policies to monitor the values of metrics and to notify you when those metrics violate a condition. The general steps for creating an alerting policy that monitors one or more interconnect resources are as follows:
- In the Google Cloud Console, go to Monitoring.
- In the Monitoring navigation pane, select notificationsAlerting, and then select Create policy.
- Click Add condition:
- The settings in the Target pane specify the resource and metric to be monitored. Click the text box to enable a menu, and then select the resource interconnect. Next, select a metric from the interconnect metrics list.
- The settings in the Configuration pane of the alerting policy determine when the alert is triggered. Most fields in this pane are populated with default values. For more information about the fields in the pane, see Configuration in the Alerting policies documentation.
- Click Add.
- To advance to the notifications section, click Next.
- Optional: To add notifications to your alerting policy, click
Notification channels. In the dialog, select one or more notification
channels from the menu, and then click OK.
If a notification channel that you want to add isn't listed, then click Manage notification channels. You are taken to the Notification channels page in a new browser tab. From this page, you can update the configured notification channels. After you have completed your updates, return to the original tab, click Refresh autorenew, and then select the notification channels to add to the alerting policy.
- To advance to the documentation section, click Next.
- Click Name and enter a name for the alerting policy.
- Optional: Click Documentation, and then add any information that you want included in a notification message.
- Click Save.
Creating custom Monitoring dashboards
You can create custom Monitoring dashboards over Cloud Interconnect metrics by adding custom charts:
In the Google Cloud Console, go to Cloud Monitoring.
Select Dashboards > Create Dashboard.
Click Add Chart.
Specify a name for the chart.
- You can use the Cloud Monitoring API to query and view metrics for your interconnect and interconnect attachments (VLANs).