This page describes how to install and set up Migration Center Collector for data collection.
Before you begin
- Activate Migration Center.
- Review the installation requirements.
- Review the requirements for the machines that you want to collect data from.
Create a service account
Migration Center Collector requires a service account to send data to Migration Center. A single service account can be shared by up to five different collectors.
To create a service account, follow these steps:
In the Google Cloud console, go to the Create service account page.
Select a Cloud project.
Enter a service account name to display in the Google Cloud console.
The Google Cloud console generates a service account ID based on this name. Edit the ID if necessary. You cannot change the ID later.
Optional: Enter a description of the service account.
To set access controls, click Create and continue and continue to the next step.
Choose one or more IAM roles to grant to the service account on the project.
- To use the minimum amount of permissions, use the Service Account Key Admin role.
- For more flexibility, use the Owner role.
When you are done adding roles, click Continue.
Click Done to finish creating the service account.
For more details about service account creation, see Creating a service account.
Register and download the collector
To collect data from your infrastructure, you need to create an application installer for Migration Center Collector that you can download and install on your servers.
Typically, you need to create a separate collector for every data center in your infrastructure.
To create a collector, follow these steps:
In the Google Cloud console, go to the Discover environment page.
Click Add data source.
Select Use the Migration Center Collector, then fill in the values under Collector setup.
- Enter the Collector name.
- Enter a description for your collector.
- From the Service account list, select the service account that you created for Migration Center.
- Enter the expected number of assets in your data center.
- Enter the number of days that you want Migration Center Collector to collect data for. If you don't specify anything, Migration Center Collector will collect data for 180 days.
To create the collector, click Create.
From the collector's details page, to download the collector installer, click Download. If necessary, copy the installer file to the server where you want to install Migration Center Collector.
Install the application
To install the Migration Center Collector collector, follow these steps:
- Run the Migration Center Collector installer.
- Review and accept the license agreement.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.
- Once the installation is complete, you will see a new application shortcut on your desktop.
To run the Migration Center Collector application, open the shortcut on your desktop in administrator mode.
Authorize Migration Center Collector
The first time you run Migration Center Collector, you need to authorize it and configure the correct Google Cloud project to use.
After you open Migration Center Collector, follow these steps:
- To start the authorization process, click Authorize with Migration Center.
- Under Connectivity check, click Run check.
- Under Log in with Google, click Log in with Google. Follow the instructions on the screen, select the Google account you use in Google Cloud when prompted, then click Allow.
- Under Choose project, select the Google Cloud project where you created the collector from the list.
- Under Choose collector, select the collector for your data center from the list.
- To confirm, click Authorize.
- Learn more about the collection methods in Migration Center Collector.