This page provides an overview of the resources available for using Terraform with Google Cloud.
Terraform is an open source tool that lets you provision Google Cloud resources with declarative configuration files—resources such as virtual machines, containers, storage, and networking. Terraform's infrastructure-as-code (IaC) approach supports DevOps best practices for change management, letting you manage Terraform configuration files in source control to maintain an ideal provisioning state for testing and production environments.
Use the following resources to help you get started with using Terraform with Google Cloud:
- Read Terraform's documentation on Getting Started with the Google Provider and an overview of the Google Cloud Provider.
- Build your Infrastructure as Code skills and learn about Managing infrastructure as code with Terraform, Cloud Build, and GitOps. This tutorial shows you how to automate provisioning with Terraform.
- For a deeper understanding of using Terraform with Google Cloud, try:
Tools for using Terraform with Google Cloud
There are a variety of tools you can use to optimize your Terraform experience:
- Explore the Cloud Foundation Toolkit, which provides a series of reference modules for Terraform. The modules reflect Google Cloud best practices, and using these modules help you get started with Terraform more quickly. The modules are documented in the Terraform Registry and open sourced on GitHub.
- Leverage Terraform Validator to enforce policies on Terraform configurations for Google Cloud.
- Import existing Google Cloud resources into Terraform with Terraformer.
- Learn more about Cloud Shell. Terraform is integrated with Cloud Shell, and Cloud Shell automatically authenticates Terraform, letting you get started with less set up. To learn more, see the Kickstart Terraform on GCP with Google Cloud Shell blog.
Terraform support for Google Cloud
The Terraform provider for Google Cloud is jointly developed by HashiCorp and Google, with support for more than 250 Google Cloud resources. The core Terraform CLI is developed by HashiCorp.
Use the following resources for support:
- For provider-related issues, open an issue on GitHub.
- For questions about Terraform in general and common patterns, check the HashiCorp community portal.
- For general troubleshooting advice, see Terraform’s debugging documentation.
- Join us in the Google Cloud Community Slack #terraform channel. If you haven't already, you can register for the Google Cloud Community Slack.