This page describes how to grant a Google Cloud user account or service account access to AlloyDB resources in a project.
Depending on the scope of control you want the account to have, you grant it one of these predefined IAM roles:
roles/alloydb.admin(Cloud AlloyDB Admin) to grant full control for all AlloyDB resources
roles/alloydb.viewer(Cloud AlloyDB Viewer) to grant read-only access to all AlloyDB resources
roles/alloydb.client(Cloud AlloyDB Client) to grant connectivity access to AlloyDB instances from clients connecting with the AlloyDB Auth proxy
For detailed information about the specific IAM permissions these roles provide, see Predefined AlloyDB IAM roles.
Before you begin
- The Cloud project you are using must have been enabled to access AlloyDB.
- You must have the
roles/owner(Owner) basic IAM role in the Cloud project you are using, or a role that grants these permissions:
To gain these permissions while following the principle of least privilege, ask your administrator to grant you the
roles/resourcemanager.projectIamAdmin(Project IAM Admin) role.
Enable the Resource Manager API in the Cloud project you are using.
- In the Google Cloud console, go to the IAM page.
- Select the project enabled to access AlloyDB.
- Select a principal (user or service account) to grant access to:
- To grant a role to a principal who already has other roles on the project, find the row containing the principal's email address, click Edit principal in that row, and click Add another role.
- To grant a role to a principal who does not already have other roles on the project, click Add, then enter the principal's email address.
- From the drop-down list, select the Cloud AlloyDB Admin, Cloud AlloyDB Viewer, or Cloud AlloyDB Client role.
- Click Save. The principal is granted the role.
add-iam-policy-binding command to grant
an AlloyDB predefined role to an IAM principal
(user account or service account).
gcloud projects add-iam-policy-binding PROJECT_ID \ --member=PRINCIPAL \ --role=ALLOYDB_ROLE
PROJECT_ID: The ID of the project enabled to access AlloyDB.
PRINCIPAL: The type and email ID (email address) of the principal:
- For user accounts:
- For service accounts:
- For user accounts:
ALLOYDB_ROLE: The value
roles/alloydb.client, depending on the role you want to grant the principal. For details about the permissions these roles grant, see Predefined AlloyDB IAM roles.
Except as otherwise noted, the content of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License, and code samples are licensed under the Apache 2.0 License. For details, see the Google Developers Site Policies. Java is a registered trademark of Oracle and/or its affiliates.
Last updated 2023-02-02 UTC.