This page applies to Apigee, but not to Apigee hybrid.
View Apigee Edge documentation.
Apigee's updated Pay-as-you-go pricing attributes are based in part upon the environment types you attach to your Apigee instance. An environment is a unit of infrastructure within an organization where you can create and deploy API proxies. When you provision an Apigee organization using the Pay-as-you-go (updated attributes) pricing model, an Intermediate environment is created in your organization. After the organization is provisioned, you can add additional environments of any type to your organization.
The Apigee Pay-as-you-go (updated attributes) pricing model introduces three different types of deployment environments, with varying costs:
With the ability to use multiple types of environments in a single organization, you can create a pricing scheme tailored to your usage. This topic addressed the features, limitations, and recommended use cases for each environment type.
Base environment type
When you select a Base environment to attach to your Apigee instance, you can do the following:
- Deploy and run Standard API Proxies.
- Utilize Apigee API monitoring and Cloud Monitoring.
- Access Apigee proxy development tools.
- Leverage other Google Cloud services.
- Register your APIs with Apigee's API Hub (Preview).
As the lowest-cost environment type, the Base environment is recommended for the following API management use cases:
- Proxying API traffic for prototyping, internal development, or small-scale applications.
- Onboarding your program to Apigee and maintaining low ongoing costs.
- Implementing a fully-managed gateway with the option to add advanced capabilities when required.
Intermediate environment type
With an Intermediate environment attached to your Apigee instance, you can access all the functionality of the Base environment type, along with the following:
- Deploy and run Extensible API Proxies and Standard API Proxies.
- Create API products and publish those products in a developer portal.
- Access add-on Apigee capabilities available for purchase like Apigee API Analytics, Monetization*, and Advanced API Operations*.
With these expanded capabilities, the Intermediate environment is recommended for the following API management use cases:
- Building and publishing API products for developers.
- Managing a portfolio of APIs with growing adoption.
- Performing complex transformations or mediations in your API traffic.
* Monetization and Advanced API Security add-ons are currently unavailable for purchase.
Comprehensive environment type
If you attach a Comprehensive environment to your Apigee instance, you can access all the functionality of the Intermediate environment type, along with the ability to do following:
- Perform at-scale deployments with multiple regions.
- Purchase additional proxy deployments per environment.
- Access high-performance operational tools like auto-scaling QPS, debug masking, and distributed tracing (Preview).
The Comprehensive environment is recommended for API management use cases that require:
- Supporting mission critical applications with high reliability and performance.
- Maintaining precision control over API operations.
Comparison of environment types
The following table provides a comparison of the features and limitations of each environment type:
|Max environment per org||5||5||Up to limit (85)|
|Standard API Proxy||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Extensible API Proxy||No||Yes||Yes|
|Proxy deployment units* per environment per region||20 included per environment||50 included per environment||100 included per environment, ability to purchase up to limit (4250)|
|API Products and Developer Portals||N/A||Available||Available|
|Add-ons||N/A||Apigee API Analytics, Monetization**, Advanced API Security** (for purchase)||Apigee API Analytics, Monetization**, Advanced API Security** (for purchase)|
|Max throughput||Up to 50 QPS||Up to 100 QPS||Autoscaled QPS|
|SLA||up to 99%||up to 99%||99.9% for environments deployed to 1 region
99.99% for environments deployed to 2 or more regions
* Proxy deployment unit = 1 API proxy (standard or extensible) or 1 shared flow revision deployment.
** Monetization and Advanced API Security add-ons are currently unavailable for purchase.
Adding or changing environments
If you have an Apigee organization provisioned with Pay-as-you-go (updated attributes) pricing, you can add additional environments of any type, up to the limits specified in Comparison of environment types.
To change an environment type, you can create a new environment. Once you create the new environment, you can deploy any existing proxies to the new environment. You can also undeploy those proxies from the old environment if they are no longer required. If the old environment no longer contains deployed proxies, you can delete the environment to prevent any Pay-as-you-go charges from accruing.
If your API management program grows beyond the capabilities provided by the Comprehensive environment type, you can speak to your Google Cloud sales specialist about available Subscription pricing plans.
For more information about environment types, see: