Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL
- Fully managed PostgreSQL databases in the cloud, based on the Cloud SQL Second Generation platform.
- Custom machine types with up to 624 GB of RAM and 96 CPUs.
- Up to 30 TB of storage available, with the ability to automatically increase storage size as needed.
- Create and manage instances in the Google Cloud Console.
- Instances available in US, EU, Asia or Australia.
- Customer data encrypted on Google's internal networks and in database tables, temporary files, and backups.
- Support for secure external connections with the Cloud SQL Proxy or with the SSL/TLS protocol.
- Data replication between multiple zones with automatic failover.
- Import and export databases using SQL dump files.
- Support for PostgreSQL client-server protocol and standard PostgreSQL connectors.
- Automated and on-demand backups.
- Instance cloning.
- Integration with Google Cloud's operations suite logging and monitoring.
- Support for multiple PostgreSQL versions.
Features not yet available
Some PostgreSQL features are not yet available for Cloud SQL:
- Import/export in CSV format using Cloud Console or the
Postgres 12 features not yet available for Cloud SQL:
- Low-Level Virtual Machine (LLVM) Just-in-Time (JIT) compilation
- Logical replication
Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL supports many PostgreSQL extensions. For a complete list, see PostgreSQL Extensions.
Supported procedural languages
Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL supports the
PL/pgSQL SQL procedural language.
You can use Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL with App Engine applications running in the flexible environment that are written in Java, Python, PHP, Node.js, Go, and Ruby. You can also use Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL with external applications using the standard PostgreSQL client-server protocol.
How you can connect to Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL instances
You can connect to a Cloud SQL instance for PostgreSQL from:
psqlclient. Learn more.
- Third-party tools that use the standard PostgreSQL client-server protocol.
- External applications. Learn more.
- App Engine applications. Learn more.
- Applications running on Compute Engine. Learn more.
- Applications running on Google Kubernetes Engine. Learn more.
- Cloud Functions. Learn more.
- Cloud Run. Learn more.
Connecting to Cloud SQL by using Private Google access is not supported.
Differences between Cloud SQL and standard PostgreSQL functionality
In general, the PostgreSQL functionality provided by a Cloud SQL instance is the same as the functionality provided by a locally-hosted PostgreSQL instance. However, there are a few differences between a standard PostgreSQL instance and a Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL instance.
Any features that require
An exception to this rule is made for the
CREATE EXTENSIONstatement, but only for supported extensions.
Custom background workers
psqlclient in Cloud Shell does not support operations that require a reconnection, such as connecting to a different database using the