This page provides information you should know before restoring an instance from a backup.
For step-by-step instructions for performing a restore, see Restoring an instance.
General tips about performing a restore
When you restore an instance from a backup, whether to the same instance or to a different instance, keep in mind the following items:
- The restore operation overwrites all data on the target instance.
- The target instance is unavailable for connections during the restore operation; existing connections are lost.
Tips and requirements for restoring to a different instance
When you are restoring a backup to a different instance, keep in mind the following restrictions and best practices:
- You cannot restore a backup to an instance in a different Cloud Platform project.
The target instance should have the same database version as the instance from which the backup was taken.
The storage capacity of the target instance must be at least as large as the capacity of the instance being backed up. The amount of storage being used does not matter.
- The target instance must be in the
- The target instance can have a different number of number of cores or amount of memory than the instance from which the backup was taken.