Enable It Instantly
Simply add --preemptible to the gcloud command line and you're off to the races. There's no bidding to code for, and with per-second billing just shut down your VMs as soon as you're done.
// ENABLE PREEMPTIBLE OPTION gcloud compute instances create my-vm --zone us-central1-b --preemptible
- Programmatic Access
- Create a preemptible instance simply by adding --preemptible when creating compute instances.
- Console Configuration
- Enable Preemptibility from the Advanced Settings when creating your instance.
- Graceful Shutdown
- Compute Engine gives you 30 seconds to shut down when you're preempted, letting you save your work in progress for later.
- Large Scale Computing
- Spin up as many instances as you need, turn them off when you're done. You only pay for what you use.
- Quickly Reclaim Capacity
- Managed Instance Groups automatically recreate your instances when they're preempted (if capacity is available).
- Fixed Pricing
- Preemptible VMs have fixed pricing up to 80% off regular instances. They show up on your bill separately so you'll see just how much you're saving.
“ The Preemptible VM pricing model is a game changer- Mark Johnson Co-Founder and CEO, Descartes Labs
for a seed-funded startup like ours. ”