Spend-based committed use discounts provide a discount in exchange for your commitment to spend a minimum amount for a product or service. The discount applies to the set of eligible resources for the service.
Currently, spend-based CUDs are only available for limited products. To view them, see products covered by spend-based commitments.
You can purchase spend-based committed use discounts from your Cloud Billing account; they apply to eligible usage in any projects paid for by that Cloud Billing account.
Purchasing spend-based commitments
You can purchase spend-based committed use discounts in the Google Cloud Console. The commitments are effective starting within the hour from the time you purchased them. The discounts are applied to eligible usage in the region you specified.
To purchase or manage spend-based committed use discounts for your Cloud Billing account, you must be a Billing Account Administrator.
Steps to purchase
To purchase spend-based committed use discounts, complete the following steps:
Sign in to the Google Cloud Console.
Open the Cloud Console Navigation menu, and then select Billing.
If you have more than one Cloud Billing account, do one of the following:
- To manage Cloud Billing for the current project, select Go to linked billing account.
- To locate a different Cloud Billing account, select Manage billing accounts and then choose the account that you want to manage.
To view the dashboard select Commitments from the Cloud Billing menu.
To purchase a commitment select Purchase.
Select the Product.
Enter a name for your commitment.
Choose a commitment term of 1 or 3 years, the duration for which you are charged for the commitment.
Enter your hourly commitment amount, in terms of equivalent on-demand spend.
- This amount represents the equivalent of on-demand costs that you would have incurred without the committed use discount.
- You can view the commitment fee, your recurring charge, in the commitment summary.
- You can view the estimated savings when your commitments are fully utilized in the commitment summary.
Review everything you entered to verify you're committing to the correct amount in the correct region.
To preview your purchase, click the Purchase button. This does not process the actual purchase, but rather prepares a summary for you to review before finalizing.
To finalize your purchase, review the commitment summary and click Purchase again.
You can view the details of your spend-based committed use discounts in the the Google Cloud Console commitment dashboard or analysis report, described in Analyzing your spend-based commitments.
You cannot cancel the commitments you've purchased. You must pay the agreed upon monthly amount for the duration of the commitment. Your commitment and the resources covered by it are not affected by future changes to the standard prices for those resources.
If you accidentally purchased a commitment or made a mistake configuring your commitment, contact Cloud Billing Support for help.
How committed use discounts work
Your spend-based committed use discount is applied to the eligible usage each hour.
If you use more in the hour than you committed to, the overage is charged at your regular on-demand rate. If you use less in the hour than you committed to, you do not fully utilize your commitment or realize your full discount.
Understanding your bill, invoice, and exported data
To understand spend-based committed use discounts in your bill, invoice, and exported data, see Analyze the effectiveness of your spend-based committed use discounts.
APIs and reference
Committed use discounts do not have an API for programmatic access. For other Cloud Billing APIs, see the documentation.
If you have questions regarding committed use discounts on your bill, contact Cloud Billing Support for help.
- Learn more about committed use discounts
- Analyze the effectiveness of your spend-based committed use discounts
- View your Cloud Billing reports and cost trends
- View the credits you are receiving in reports
- Understand your savings with cost breakdown reports
- Export Cloud Billing data to BigQuery
- View your cost and payment history