Transfer Appliance is a high-capacity storage device that enables you to transfer and securely ship your data to a Google upload facility, where we upload your data to Google Cloud Storage. For Transfer Appliance capacities and requirements, see Specifications.
Where is Transfer Appliance available?
Transfer Appliance is available in the following locations:
Data transfer speeds
With a typical network bandwidth of 100 Mbps, one petabyte of data takes about 3 years to upload. However, with Transfer Appliance, you can receive the appliance and capture a petabyte of data in under 25 days. Your data can be accessed in Cloud Storage within another 25 days, all without consuming any outbound network bandwidth.
Is Transfer Appliance suitable for me?
Transfer Appliance is a good fit for your data transfer needs if:
- You are an existing Google Cloud Platform (GCP) customer.
- Your data size is greater than or equal to 10TB.
- Your data resides in locations that Transfer Appliance is available.
- It would take more than one week to upload your data.
Refer to the following table to see the approximate upload time for your dataset, based on size and network speed.
Data handling for the European Union
Appliances are shipped from the Netherlands. When data capture is complete, you ship the appliance to Belgium for data upload. Your data is then uploaded to a Cloud Storage staging location in the region you chose as the final destination for your data when you signed up for the appliance. If you choose a destination region within the EU, your data never leaves the boundaries of the European Union during any part of the data transfer process.
Other data transfer options
- Cloud Storage Transfer Service: Quickly imports online data into Google Cloud Storage.
- Google BigQuery Data Transfer Service: Automates data movement from Software as a Service (SaaS) applications such as Google Ads and Google Ad Manager on a scheduled, managed basis.
To start using Transfer Appliance, see Preparing for Data Transfer.