Use the following procedures to launch a rehydrator instance and configure it so you can access and rehydrate your data.
In order to rehydrate your data, you need a Google Cloud Storage destination bucket. If you don't already have one, see Creating Storage Buckets.
If you want to configure optional email alerts so you can receive updates about rehydration jobs, you must use a Gmail account.
You need to know the username and password of the email account that you want to use as the sender of email alerts.
Launching the Rehydrator instance
- Go to the Rehydrator page on GCP Marketplace to launch the Transfer Appliance Rehydrator User Interface.
- Click Launch on Compute Engine. The New Transfer Appliance deployment page appears.
- Select the Cloud Platform project where you want to deploy the Rehydrator instance. You should create the Rehydrator instance in the same project as the destination bucket that will receive the rehydrated data. To specify a destination bucket, see Setting the target path or prefix.
- For the Deployment name, enter a name to identify the deployment.
For the Zone, select the desired compute zone.
To improve performance, create the Rehydrator instance in the same zone or multi-zone region as the Cloud Storage destination buckets.
Leave Machine type at the default value.
- Leave Disk type at the default value.
- Leave Disk size in GB at the default value.
- By default, the Rehydrator instance connects to the default network in your Cloud Platform project. If you have multiple networks or subnets in your environment, you can select the network and subnetwork to which your Rehydrator instance connects using Network name and Subnetwork name.
- Leave Allow HTTP traffic checked.
- Leave Allow HTTPS traffic checked.
The deployment tracking page appears, in which you can track the progress of the Rehydrator deployment. Once the deployment process completes, the post-deployment information page appears. This displays information about the deployment and provides links for accessing and managing the Rehydrator instance.
Make a note of the values for Site address, Rehydrator Username, and Rehydrator Password. You will need this information to sign in to the Rehydrator User Interface.
Configuring the Rehydrator instance
Use the following procedure to configure the Transfer Appliance Rehydrator User Interface so you can access and rehydrate your data.
- To access the Transfer Appliance Rehydrator User Interface, open a browser and enter the URL that was provided as the Site address value when you deployed the instance.
- The first time you sign into the Rehydrator instance, you might receive a security error from Chrome about the Rehydrator certificate. The first time you connect to the Rehydrator a security warning appears, asking if you trust the site. Click Advanced, then proceed to the site.
- Sign in using the Rehydrator Username and Rehydrator Password credentials you noted when you deployed the instance.
- In the Rehydrator User Interface, wait while the appliance list loads.
- After loading completes, a list of appliances is displayed. Select the Transfer Appliance whose data you want to rehydrate from the list.
- For the Destination Bucket Name, enter the name of the destination bucket for the rehydrated data.
If the destination bucket is in the same project as the Rehydrator instance, click the Destination Bucket in the same project as the Rehydrator VM checkbox.
If the destination bucket isn't in the same project as the Rehydrator instance, create service account key files by following the instructions in "To generate a private key in JSON or PKCS12 format procedure" in Generating a service account credential. Click Choose file to attach the files. This allows the instance to move your data across project boundaries as needed by the rehydration process.
For the Encryption Password, enter the encryption password you set when you first received the Transfer Appliance.
For the Encryption Passphrase, enter the encryption passphrase you set when you first received the Transfer Appliance.
Click Submit. When the Rehydrator instance completes configuration, it displays a dashboard of pending rehydration jobs based on the data in your staging bucket.
- The first time you sign in, you are asked if you want to take the optional tour of the user interface. Click OK to take the tour, otherwise click Cancel.
Configuring email alerts
You can optionally configure email alerts. Email alerts are sent for significant events regarding rehydration job status.
Use the following procedure to configure email alerts.
- Open the Transfer Appliance Rehydrator User Interface.
- Click the Settings icon and click Email Notification.
- For the Sender Email Address, enter a valid Gmail account to be used as the sender of all notifications.
- For the Sender Email Password, enter your Gmail account password.
- For the SMTP Server, enter smtp.gmail.com.
- For the Port, enter 465.
- For the Connection, select TLS.
- For the Recipient(s), enter a comma-delimited list of email addresses to send notifications to.
- Click Save.