What do I need to know
After this date, the following changes take effect:
- RHEL 6 images will still be available but will be marked as deprecated.
- For your existing PAYG RHEL 6 license based VMs, limited technical support is available through Google Cloud.
What do I need to do
- Review the operating system lifecycle and support policy.
- If you need to create VMs that use these RHEL 6 images after the end of maintenance date, make copies of the images that are available in your projects.
- Plan and migrate your workloads and applications to RHEL 8.
Google is working with Red Hat to make a paid add-on available for customers who plan to stay on RHEL 6. The licensing model for the RHEL 6 ELS add-on will be as follows:
- $0.02 USD/hour for instances with 4 or fewer vCPUs
- $0.05 USD/hour for instances with more than 4 vCPUs
If you purchase and append the add-on license to your VM, you will be charged for both the RHEL 6 OS license and the RHEL 6 ELS add-on license for the VM.
If you are interested in the RHEL 6 ELS add-on, contact your account manager.
- Learn more about images on Compute Engine.
- Learn more about the RHEL operating systems that are available on Compute Engine.