Artifact Registry supports the following container image formats:
- Docker Image Manifest V2, Schema 1
- Docker Image Manifest V2, Schema 2
- Open Container Initiative (OCI) Image Format Specifications
Docker V2 image manifest is a specification for container images that allows multi-architecture images and supports content-addressable images.
Docker V2 images supersede Docker V1 images, which are deprecated.
OCI Image Format
The OCI Image Format is a specification for container images based on the Docker Image Manifest Version 2, Schema 2 format. Artifact Registry supports pushing and pulling OCI images.
Manifest lists and image indexes
Manifest lists are part of the Docker V2, Schema 2 and OCI images.
Manifest lists allow a single digest or tag to represent multiple forms of an image.
Image indexes are the equivalent of manifest lists in OCI images.
Like manifest lists, an image index manifest refers to multiple image manifests. Image indexes are useful for multi-platform images.
Artifact Registry implements the OCI Specification, an API protocol to help standardize distribution of content.
Helm 3 supports chart packages in OCI format, so you can store charts in Artifact Registry for your deployments.
The following package types are supported:
- Java packages
- Node.js modules
- Python packages packages
- Debian packages (email firstname.lastname@example.org to request documentation)
- RPM packages (email email@example.com to request documentation)
For questions about other formats, use one of the support options.
Requirements to access alpha features
Artifact Registry alpha features are only available if you are in the Artifact Registry alpha user group.
- You have completed the sign up form for membership in the alpha user group.
- You have provided a list the project IDs for all Google Cloud projects where you are testing alpha features.
- You have provided the email addresses of Google Cloud accounts that require access to alpha features in Google Cloud Console.
If you add new projects or project team members who require access to alpha features, email firstname.lastname@example.org to request access for the additional projects or email addresses.