Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL
PostgreSQL feature support for Cloud SQL
- Fully managed PostgreSQL databases in the cloud.
- Custom machine types with up to 624 GB of RAM and 96 CPUs.
- Up to 64 TB of storage available, with the ability to automatically increase storage size as needed.
- Create and manage instances in the Google Cloud console.
- Instances available in the Americas, EU, Asia, and Australia. See all locations where you can create Cloud SQL instances.
- Supports migration from source databases to Cloud SQL destination databases using Database Migration Service (DMS).
- Customer data encrypted on Google's internal networks and in database tables, temporary files, and backups.
- Support for secure external connections with the Cloud SQL Auth proxy or with the SSL/TLS protocol.
- Data replication between multiple zones with automatic failover.
- Import and export databases using SQL dump files.
- Support for PostgreSQL client-server protocol and standard PostgreSQL connectors.
- Automated backups, on-demand backups, and point-in-time recovery.
- Instance cloning.
- Integration with Google Cloud's operations suite logging and monitoring.
- Support for multiple PostgreSQL versions.
- Logical replication
Supported PostgreSQL extensions for Cloud SQL
Cloud SQL supports many PostgreSQL extensions. For a complete list of these extensions, see Configure PostgreSQL extensions.
Supported PostgreSQL procedural languages for Cloud SQL
Cloud SQL supports the
PL/pgSQL SQL procedural language.
Supported languages for Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL
You can use Cloud SQL with App Engine applications running in the flexible environment that are written in:
You can also use Cloud SQL with external applications using the standard PostgreSQL client-server protocol.
How you can connect to Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL instances
You can connect to a Cloud SQL instance from:
psqlclient. Learn more.
- Third-party tools that use the standard PostgreSQL client-server protocol.
- External applications. Learn more.
- App Engine applications. Learn more.
- Applications running on Compute Engine. Learn more.
- Applications running on Google Kubernetes Engine. Learn more.
- Cloud Functions. Learn more.
- Cloud Run. Learn more.
Connecting to Cloud SQL with Private Google access isn't supported.
Differences between standard PostgreSQL and Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL
In general, the PostgreSQL functionality provided by a Cloud SQL instance is the same as the functionality provided by a locally-hosted PostgreSQL instance. However, there are a few differences between a standard PostgreSQL instance and a Cloud SQL instance.
Unsupported features for Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL
Any features that require
An exception to this rule is made for the
CREATE EXTENSIONstatement, but only for supported extensions.
Custom background workers
psqlclient in Cloud Shell doesn't support operations that require a reconnection, such as connecting to a different database using the
Low-Level Virtual Machine (LLVM) Just-in-Time (JIT) compilation.
Notable differences between PostgreSQL and Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL
Some PostgreSQL options and parameters aren't enabled for editing as Cloud SQL flags.
To request the addition of a configurable Cloud SQL flag, use the Cloud SQL Discussion group.