This category in the Google Cloud Architecture Framework shows you how to architect and operate secure services on Google Cloud. You also learn about Google Cloud products and features that support security and compliance.
The Architecture Framework describes best practices, provides implementation recommendations, and explains some of the available products and services. The framework helps you design your Google Cloud deployment so that it matches your business needs.
Moving your workloads into Google Cloud requires an evaluation of your business requirements, risks, compliance obligations, and security controls. This document helps you consider key best practices related to designing a secure solution in Google Cloud.
Google core principles include defense in depth, at scale, and by default. In Google Cloud, data and systems are protected through multiple layered defenses using policies and controls that are configured across IAM, encryption, networking, detection, logging, and monitoring.
Google Cloud comes with many security controls that you can build on, such as the following:
- Secure options for data in transit, and default encryption for data at rest.
- Built-in security features for Google Cloud products and services.
- A global infrastructure that's designed for geo-redundancy, with security controls throughout the information processing lifecycle.
- Automation capabilities that use infrastructure as code (IaC) and configuration guardrails.
For more information about the security posture of Google Cloud, see the Google security paper and the Google Infrastructure Security Design Overview. For an example secure-by-default environment, see the Google Cloud security foundations blueprint.
In the security category of the Architecture Framework, you learn to do the following:
- Review shared responsibility and shared fate on Google Cloud
- Understand security principles
- Manage risks with controls
- Manage your assets
- Manage identity and access
- Implement compute and container security
- Secure your network
- Implement data security
- Deploy applications security
- Manage compliance obligations
- Implement data residency and sovereignty requirements
- Implement privacy requirements
- Implement logging and detective controls