This page summarizes PostgreSQL language support in the preview release of the PostgreSQL interface feature.
Cloud Spanner provides PostgreSQL language support by expressing Cloud Spanner database functionality through a subset of open-source PostgreSQL language constructs, with extensions added to support Cloud Spanner functionality like interleaved tables and hinting.
For detailed information about this support, refer to these pages:
- Lexical structure and syntax describes how to form valid PostgreSQL statements.
- Data definition (DDL)
defines the syntax of DDL statements like
- Data manipulation (DML)
defines the syntax of DML statements like
defines the syntax of the
- Data types describes the data types that Cloud Spanner supports.
- Functions describes the functions that Cloud Spanner supports.
Cloud Spanner does not currently support several open-source PostgreSQL features in the preview release of the PostgreSQL interface feature, including the following.
- Ecosystem clients
- Stored procedures
- Fine-grained concurrency control
- Transactional DDL
- Partial indexes
- Foreign data wrappers
- User-defined data types, functions and operators