Quota is defined in terms of Cloud TPU cores. A single Cloud TPU device comprises 4 TPU chips and 8 cores: 2 cores per TPU chip. A Cloud TPU v2 Pod (beta) consists of 64 TPU devices containing 256 TPU chips (512 cores). A Cloud TPU v3 Pod (beta) consists of 256 TPU devices containing 1024 TPU chips (2048 cores).The number of cores also specifies the quota for a particular Cloud TPU. For example, a quota of 8 enables the use of 8 cores. A quota of 16 enables use of up to 16 cores, and so forth.
The notation: version-cores, for example v2-8, indicates the Cloud TPU version and the number of cores. Since the number of cores are also used to specify quota, this notation also describes a Cloud TPU quota allocation. For example, v2-32 indicates a v2 configuration with a quota of 32 cores.
When you create a new Google Cloud Platform project, Cloud TPU allocates a default quota to the project.
There are separate quota types: On-demand (non-preemptible), and preemptible TPUs.
Quota for single Cloud TPU device configurations
- On-demand TPUs: Default quota is at least 2 TPUs (16 cores).
- Preemptible TPUs: Default quota is at least 6 TPUs (48 cores).
Quota for Cloud TPU v2 Pod (beta) and v3 Pod (beta)
- On-demand (non-preemptible) Cloud TPU Pods: Quota is available by contacting sales through the TPU quota page. You need to request Cloud TPU v2 or v3 Pod cores per project per region. That is, if you have multiple TPUs that run under the same project, in the same region, they share a single quota allocation.
Requesting additional quota
The quota allocated for your GCP project is displayed on the Google Cloud Platform Console. If you need additional Cloud TPU quota, you can request it from the Quota page in the Google Cloud Platform Console.
Request quota for TPU Pods
To use Cloud TPU Pods, you must make a quota request. This request allocates TPU Pods for you to use with your application.
- Go to the Quotas page.
- From the Service menu, select Cloud TPU API.
- From the Metric menu, select TPU pod cores per project per region.
Alternatively, you can select TPU pod cores per project per zone.
- Select one or more regions or zones where you want to use Cloud TPU Pods.
For a complete list of available regions and zones, see Regions and Zones.
- Click Edit Quotas.
- Fill out your name, email, and phone number and click Next.
- Enter your request to increase your quota and click Next.
- Submit your request.
You will receive a response from the Cloud TPU team within 1 to 2 business days of your request.