To use most Google Cloud APIs and services, you must first enable them in a Google Cloud project. Enabling APIs and services in a Google Cloud project, results in the following changes:
- Associates them with the project.
- Adds monitoring pages in the Google Cloud console.
- Enables billing for the APIs and services if billing is enabled for the project.
- In some cases, Identity and Access Management roles only become visible when you enable the associated service.
Calling a service
The following list outlines the typical high-level requirements for using Google Cloud APIs and services:
- A Google Cloud project. For details on creating Google Cloud projects, see Creating and Managing Projects.
- To enable the service for the project. To learn how to enable APIs and services, see Enabling and Disabling Services.
- Authentication credentials for the enabled service you are using. To learn how to authenticate to a Cloud API, see Getting Started with Authentication.
The credentials you use to call Google Cloud APIs and services are associated with the project you use to create them.
IAM role visibility
Some IAM roles are only visible if the associated service is
enabled in a Google Cloud project. For example, the
is only visible after the
compute.googleapis.com API is enabled in a project.
To learn how to list the available roles to grant in a project, see
Viewing the Grantable Roles on Resources.
Services enabled by default
When you create a Google Cloud project using the Google Cloud console or Google Cloud CLI, the following APIs and services are enabled by default:
- BigQuery API
- BigQuery Migration API
- BigQuery Storage API
- Cloud Datastore API
- Cloud Debugger API
- Cloud Logging API
- Cloud Monitoring API
- Cloud SQL
- Cloud Storage
- Cloud Storage API
- Cloud Trace API
- Google Cloud APIs
- Google Cloud Storage JSON API
- Service Management API
- Service Usage API
Automatically enabled services
Some APIs and services are automatically enabled when you use them in Google Cloud console. For example, if you visit the Compute Engine page, the Compute Engine API is automatically enabled.