Requirements for all migrations
The minimum bandwidth between your source environment and Compute Engine nodes should be the larger of:
- 20 Mbit/sec symmetric.
- The total number of VMs migrated concurrently, multiplied by 0.5 Mbit/sec per VM.
For example, Migrate for Compute Engine 4.11 recommends a minimum of 50 Mbit/sec for production use of up to 100 VMs running in the cloud.
VM operating system requirements
VMs you want to migrate need to run a Supported operating system version.
Ports and connectivity required for using Migrate for Compute Engine are described at Network access requirements
Google Cloud Permissions
Migrate for Compute Engine components require a specific set of Google Cloud Service Accounts and Roles.
On-premises VMware to Compute Engine migrations
Migrate for Compute Engine supports migrations from VMware vCenter and ESXi.
The latest Migrate for Compute Engine release is compatible with VMware versions:
- vCenter: 5.5 (U1 or higher), 6.0 (U1 or higher), 6.5.*, 6.5 (U1 or higher), 6.7.*, 7.0.*
- ESXi: 5.5 (U1 or higher), 6.0 (U1 or higher), 6.5.*, 6.7.*, 7.0.*
A VMware administrator needs to:
- Deploy the Migrate for Compute Engine On-Premises Backend virtual appliance OVA.
- Create and assign vCenter roles for Migrate for Compute Engine to manage migrations.
Migrate for Compute Engine On-Premises Backend virtual appliance
The Migrate for Compute Engine Backend runs on a VM in your VWware environment. For more information, see Deploying the Migrate for Compute Engine Backend.
Source VM disk requirements for write back mode
If write back mode is enabled, which is the default, then the data store on the source VM requires at least 10% free disk space so that Migrate for Compute Engine can write all disk changes made to the VM on Google Cloud back to the source VM.
AWS to Google Cloud migrations
Configuring AWS to GCP migrations requires privileges to:
- Set up a VPN or Interconnect between AWS and Google Cloud.
- Create an IAM account and assign privileges to it.
Azure to Google Cloud migrations
Configuring Azure to GCP migrations requires privileges to:
- Set up a VPN or Interconnect between Azure and Google Cloud.
- Create the necessary permission in Azure.