This series of documents is a deep dive into the functions of Google Cloud Migrate for Compute Engine (formerly Velostrata). If you want to get started quickly, see Getting Started with Migrate for Compute Engine.
Before you begin a migration, you must evaluate and set up your source and Google Cloud data centers.
The topics listed below provide conceptual overviews of the migration process. If you have never performed a migration, we recommend that you read these guides in the order listed.
- Migrate for Compute Engine architecture on Google Cloud: Understand the different components of Migrate for Compute Engine.
- Running VMs vs Migrating VMs: Learn the difference between running on-premises VMs on Google Cloud compared to migrating on-premises VMs to Google Cloud.
- Migration Workflows: Learn about the workflow for a typical migration of one or many applications.
- VM Migration Lifecycle: Learn about the phases a VM undergoes during the course of a migration.
- Understanding Storage Policies: Learn about storage policy options and how to change storage policies.
- Cloud Instance Rightsizing: Determine which type of Google Cloud Cloud Instances best suit your needs.
- Network Access Requirements: Understand the firewall and access control rules needed for your migration.
- Customizing Individual VM Migrations: Learn about changing the configurations of migrated VMs to enable them to run on Google Cloud.
- Migrating VMs with Migrate for Compute Engine: Getting started: Learn in this series how to migrate your VMs from your source environment to Google Cloud by following the migration framework.
For specific procedures related to the topics in this section, see:
- Configuring Google Cloud
- Configuring the Migrate for Compute Engine Manager
- Overview of on-premises to Google Cloud migration
- Overview of migrating from AWS to Google Cloud
- Organizing migrations with waves
The following technical reference series guides your through migrating your VMs from your source environment to Google Cloud by using Migrate for Compute Engine:
- Migrating VMs with Migrate for Compute Engine: Getting started
- Migrating VMs with Migrate for Compute Engine: Building your foundation
- Migrating VMs with Migrate for Compute Engine: Migrating your VMs