Cloud Bigtable provides REST/HTTP and gRPC interfaces. If you aren't able to use our client libraries to access Cloud Bigtable, you can write your own client libraries that use the REST/HTTP or gRPC API. We recommend this approach only if the client libraries that we provide do not meet your requirements. The client libraries include many important features, such as authentication and retries, that can be challenging to implement correctly.
You can use the .proto service definition for Cloud Bigtable to generate your own gRPC client library in any language that gRPC supports. Use these resources to generate a client library:
- Cloud Bigtable Data API service definition
- Cloud Bigtable Instance Admin API service definition
- Cloud Bigtable Table Admin API service definition
- gRPC documentation: Everything you need to generate and use your own gRPC client code
- RPC Data API reference: Language-independent overview of the Data API's RPC surface
- RPC Admin API reference: Language-independent overview of the Admin API's RPC surface
Cloud Bigtable provides a REST interface for the Admin API. You cannot use REST to access the Data API.
There are many different ways to access the REST interface for Cloud Bigtable. To create your own clients, use the following resources:
- REST Admin API reference
- Guidelines for working with Google HTTP APIs
- API Discovery Service: Exposes machine-readable metadata about the REST/HTTP API surface to help you create client libraries, tools, and plugins
- Client samples: Built with REST/HTTP APIs and the Google API Discovery Service.