Anthos clusters on VMware (GKE on-prem) user clusters created using
configured to work with the Anthos On-Prem API, which is the
Google Cloud-hosted API that gets enabled automatically when you create user
clusters in the Google Cloud console. To use the console to manage the
lifecycle of user clusters that were created using
gkectl, you need to
configure the cluster using the
gkectl enroll cluster command.
The user cluster must meet the following requirements:
- Version 1.11 or higher.
- Registered with a fleet, which is done automatically when the cluster is created as of version 1.8.
If your organization has set up an allowlist that lets traffic from Google APIs and other addresses pass through your proxy server, add the following to the allowlist:
These APIs let you manage user cluster lifecycle in the console.
Enroll a user cluster
Run the following steps on your admin workstation.
Log in with your Google account:
gcloud auth login --no-browser
Create a service account to authorize
gkectlto enroll the cluster:
gcloud iam service-accounts create SA_NAME \ --project SA_PROJECT_ID
Replace the following:
- SA_NAME with the name you want to give to
the service account. You might want to use a name that describes the
purpose of the service account, such as
- SA_PROJECT_ID the ID of the parent project of your service account. The project that you create the service account in can be the same or a different project where the service account is used.
- SA_NAME with the name you want to give to the service account. You might want to use a name that describes the purpose of the service account, such as
Create a JSON key for your service account:
gcloud iam service-accounts keys create SA_NAME-key.json \ --iam-account=SA_NAME@SA_PROJECT_ID.iam.gserviceaccount.com
Enable the Anthos On-Prem API in your the fleet host project:
gcloud services enable \ --project FLEET_PROJECT_ID \ gkeonprem.googleapis.com
Replace FLEET_PROJECT_ID with the ID of the fleet host project. This must be the same Cloud project that your admin and user clusters are registered to, which you specify in the gkeConnect.projectID field in the cluster configuration file.
gkeonprem.adminrole to your service account:
gcloud projects add-iam-policy-binding FLEET_PROJECT_ID \ --member "serviceAccount:SA_NAME@SA_PROJECT_ID.iam.gserviceaccount.com" \ --role "roles/gkeonprem.admin"
Set up your application default credentials to use the service account. This ensures that the gcloud CLI uses the service account you created previously.
gkectl enroll clustercommand. Replace the following:
- CLUSTER_NAME with the name of the user cluster.
- ADMIN_CLUSTER_KUBECONFIG with the path of your admin
gkectl enroll cluster --cluster-name=CLUSTER_NAME \ --kubeconfig ADMIN_CLUSTER_KUBECONFIG
If you have more than one user cluster in a project that you want to enroll, you can use the same service account and key and just run
gkectl enroll clusterfor each cluster.