Google has been defending millions of sites with reCAPTCHA for over a decade. reCAPTCHA Enterprise is built on the existing reCAPTCHA API and it uses advanced risk analysis techniques to distinguish between humans and bots. With reCAPTCHA Enterprise, you can protect your site from spam and abuse, and detect other types of fraudulent activities on the sites, such as credential stuffing, account takeover (ATO), and automated account creation. reCAPTCHA Enterprise offers enhanced detection with more granular scores, reason codes for risky events, mobile app SDKs, password breach/leak detection, Multi-factor authentication (MFA), and the ability to tune your site-specific model to protect enterprise businesses.
When to use reCAPTCHA Enterprise
reCAPTCHA Enterprise is useful when you want to detect automated attacks or threats against your website. These threats typically originate from scripts, mobile emulators, bot software, or humans.
For more information about use cases, see OWASP Automated Threat Handbook - Web Applications.
How reCAPTCHA Enterprise works
When reCAPTCHA Enterprise is deployed in your environment, it interacts with the customer backend/server and customer web pages.
When an end user visits the web page, the following events are triggered in a sequence:
- When the end user triggers an HTML action protected by reCAPTCHA such as login, the web page sends signals that are collected in the browser to reCAPTCHA Enterprise for analysis.
- reCAPTCHA Enterprise sends an encrypted reCAPTCHA token to the web page for later use.
- The web page sends the encrypted reCAPTCHA token to the backend/web server for assessment.
- The backend/web server sends the create assessment (
assessments.create) request and the encrypted reCAPTCHA token to reCAPTCHA Enterprise.
- After assessing, reCAPTCHA Enterprise returns a score (from 0.0 through 1.0) and reason code (based on the interactions) to the backend/web server.
- Depending on the score, you (developer) can determine the next steps to take action on the user.
The following sequence diagram shows the graphical representation of the reCAPTCHA Enterprise workflow: