Container-Optimized OS is tested and qualified for running various container
workloads on Google Cloud. It is actively patched with security updates (CVEs)
and bug-fixes to address issues that impact Google Cloud users. Users get access
to these fixes via our image releases in the
Container-Optimized OS image support is available for our Long Term Supported (LTS)
family of images in the
cos-cloud project. For a description of available
image families, see Versioning scheme.
The following support commitment applies only to our LTS family of images.
Approximately twice each year, the
Container-Optimized OS team releases a Long Term Supported (LTS) milestone on
cos-[MILESTONE]-lts image family. Once a milestone is introduced on the
LTS family, it is supported for 2 years.
During this support window:
- The milestone is actively patched for any critical bugs.
- The milestone is actively scanned for security vulnerabilities, and security fixes are applied on regular basis.
- New releases containing high priority bug and security fixes are released on-demand.
- New releases containing medium and low priority bug and security fixes are released every 3 months.
- To maintain stability, no new breaking features are introduced.
- All changes in the image are documented on a dedicated release notes page.
At the end of a milestone's support window, the corresponding
family is deprecated. Specifically, we set the
DEPRECATED flag on images in
that milestone and those images stop appearing in the active list of images in
Deprecated images are still accessible and usable when accessed directly by name
images get API.
However, any issues with those images might not be fixed or will only be fixed
in newer milestones. Issues reported against deprecated images may be fixed only
in newer image milestones. To continue having access to bug fixes and security
patches, upgrade to one of the newer active milestones.
- For technical support: Contact Google Cloud support
- For general questions: