This page documents production updates to the Transcoder API. Check this page for announcements about new or updated features, bug fixes, known issues, and deprecated functionality.
To get the latest product updates delivered to you, add the URL of this page to your
reader, or add the feed URL directly:
March 31, 2021
Beta stage support for VPC Service Controls.
February 26, 2021
Sprite sheets now preserve the source aspect ratio. Set the sprite width or height field, but not both (the API will automatically calculate the missing field).
The API now supports video padding with black.
November 16, 2020
Added Shaka player compatibility for Dash and HLS CEA608/CEA708. Shaka player version 3.0 is used for validation testing.
The Transcoder API preserves the aspect ratio of the source video.
The Transcoder API supports cropping.
Improved performance for short input files.
Client libraries released.
The Transcoder API supports overlays.
The Cloud SDK now supports the Transcoder API.
Content encryption is supported for the following containers:
|Type||Technology||Format||Video Codecs||Audio Codecs|
|DRM||FairPlay||HLS||TS (SAMPLE-AES)||fMP4 (SAMPLE-AES)||TS (SAMPLE-AES)|
|fMP4 (SAMPLE-AES)||fMP4 (SAMPLE-AES)|
|DRM||Widevine, PlayReady||DASH||fMP4 (MPEG-CENC)||fMP4 (MPEG-CENC)|
|DRM||Widevine, PlayReady||HLS||fMP4 (MPEG-CENC)||fMP4 (MPEG-CENC)|
|Content protection||AES-128||HLS, DASH||fMP4, TS (AES-128)||fMP4, TS (AES-128)||fMP4, TS (AES-128)|
July 22, 2020
The Transcoder API provides output video using the VP9 codec.
The Transcoder API provides output subtitles using the WebVTT container.
The Transcoder API supports the following encryption standards for audio and video outputs:
- AES-128 and SAMPLE-AES for TS
- MPEG Common Encryption (MPEG-CENC) for fmp4
June 12, 2020
The Transcoder API provides output video using the H.265 codec.
The cumulative size of input files was limited to 150 GB per job. This size has been increased to 400 GB per job.
April 15, 2020
Private beta release: The Transcoder API converts video files into formats suitable for consumer distribution.
The Transcoder API provides output video using the H.264 codec.
The Transcoder API supports the following audio coding standards for audio output:
- Dolby Digital audio codec (AC-3)
- Dolby Digital plus, also known as enhanced AC-3 (E-AC-3)
- Advanced audio coding high-efficiency (AAC-HE)
- Advanced audio coding low-complexity (AAC-LC)
The Transcoder API supports the following output container formats:
- MPEG-4 (MP4)
- Dynamic adaptive streaming over HTTP (DASH, also known as MPEG-DASH), comprising of a manifest and fMP4 files
- HTTP Live Streaming (HLS), comprising of manifests and media files
- MPEG transport stream
The Transcoder API supports the following additional advanced capabilities:
- Reusable job templates for managing job configurations
- Caption mapping
- Edit lists
- Manifest naming and stream control
- Priority queues
- Ad-break and SCTE-35 insertion in streams and manifests
- Flexible multiplexing and reusable elementary streams
- Customizable H.264 codec parameters
- Audio normalization during preprocessing
- Sprite sheet generation, for previews and thumbnails
- Pub/Sub notifications
The cumulative size of input files is limited to 150 GB per job.
VPC Service Controls is not supported. If your Google Cloud project uses VPC Service Controls, you can't set up a service perimeter around the Transcoder API.
assumes every input file has at least one audio and one video track. If the
input doesn't include either audio or video, the job fails.
Output is limited to a maximum frame rate of 120 fps and resolution of 3840 x 2160.