Google is a Leader in the 2023 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Container Management
GM & VP, Cloud Runtimes
Sr. Director of Product Management, Cloud Runtimes
We’re excited to share that Gartner has recognized Google as a Leader in the 2023 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Container Management with Google Cloud being evaluated. Google was positioned highest in Ability to Execute of all vendors evaluated and we believe this validates the success of our mission to be the best place for customers anywhere to run containerized workloads. Gartner predicts that “by 2027, more than 90% of global organizations will be running containerized applications in production, which is a significant increase from fewer than 40% in 2021.” From our perspective, containers power today’s most innovative apps and businesses — and will unlock even greater business transformation and innovation in the years ahead.
Our journey began in 2014 when we introduced Kubernetes and launched Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE), the first managed Kubernetes service in the world. GKE is the most scalable leading Kubernetes service available in the industry today. In 2019, we launched Cloud Run, the first platform to combine the benefits of containers and serverless. Today, Cloud Run provides one of the leading developer experiences of all cloud providers. In 2019, we also extended GKE to hybrid and multi-cloud environments with Anthos, and introduced Autopilot mode in GKE in 2021. This year, we expanded the reach of our container management platform to Google Distributed Cloud.
Wherever our customers build and run containers, from Google Cloud to other clouds to the data center and the edge, we aim to deliver the most simple, comprehensive, secure, and reliable container platform for all workloads.
Today, we continue our mission to help our customers modernize and transform their businesses with containers. At our flagship Google Cloud Next ‘23 conference, we introduced powerful new enhancements to our container management products, what we call “the next evolution of container platforms.” Key innovations include:
- GKE Enterprise, a new premium edition of GKE. GKE Enterprise builds on Google Cloud’s leadership in containers and Kubernetes, bringing together the best of GKE and Anthos into an integrated and intuitive container platform, with a unified console experience. Plus, GKE Enterprise includes hybrid and multi-cloud support, so you can run container workloads anywhere.
- Cloud TPU v5e support in GKE, for organizations developing the next generation of AI applications. We also announced general availability of both the A3 VM with NVIDIA H100 GPU and Cloud Storage Fuse for GKE.
- Duet AI in GKE and Cloud Run leverages the power of generative AI to drive productivity and velocity for customer container platform teams. With Duet AI specifically trained on our container management product documentation, customers can cut down on the time it takes to run and optimize containerized applications.
Check out all the key container management innovations announced at Next ‘23 — from Kubernetes to AI — and how Google Cloud helps our customers improve efficiency, reliability, and security for their most important containerized workloads.
We’ve come a long way since 2014, and we are thrilled to be recognized as a Leader for Container Management by Gartner. We are also grateful to our customers around the world who’ve placed their trust in our container management products. Here’s a small sampling:
- The BBC uses Cloud Run to handle dramatic traffic spikes, scale from 150-200 container instances to over 1,000 in under a minutes, and entertain over 498 million adults per week.
- Carrefour depends on both GKE and Cloud Run together to run new ecommerce apps.
- Equifax depends on GKE as the foundation of its global data fabric, analyzing 250 billion data points across 8 geographies and helping its customers around the world live their financial best.
- The 15 largest GKE customers are already using it to power their AI workloads. In fact, over the last year, the use of GPUs with GKE has doubled. Hear how grammarly, Lightricks, and character.ai work with GKE to build large AI models.
We are honored to be a Leader in the 2023 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Container Management, and look forward to continuing to innovate and partner with customers on their digital transformation journeys.
Download the complimentary copy of the report: 2023 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Container Management. Learn more about how organizations are transforming their businesses with Containers in Google Cloud.