Announcing Enhancements to the Apigee Integrated Developer Portal
Today we’re excited to release several updates that improve the experience for both developers and admins using the developer portals that are integrated into Apigee Edge:
- A new version of SmartDocs API reference documentation
- Enhanced theme editor and redesigned default portal theme, and
- Improvements to how accounts are managed for developers
First, a new SmartDocs for integrated portals creates beautiful API reference documentation for your developers in a new, three-pane view. The left pane helps developers navigate between areas of the API, while the center area gives detailed documentation for a given operation. The right pane enables you to make API requests directly from the docs, and it includes an expand button so you can focus on the details of the request itself. Documentation depends on the OpenAPI Specification and supports both versions 2.0 and 3.0.x. Every operation defined in the OpenAPI spec gets its own page, which makes it easy for users to share and discuss specific areas of the docs and for your API team to deep link users to the exact content they need.
Along with SmartDocs, the integrated portal theme has been enhanced using Google's Material Design toolkit, "a visual language that synthesizes the classic principles of good design with the innovation of technology and science." The integrated portal theming tool now supports SCSS and Angular Material Themes, which introduce variables, rules, and other powerful features.
Lastly, this release improves how developers create and manage accounts and gives administrators new views for managing the users of their integrated portals.
- If you are an existing user of the integrated developer portal, follow these steps to migrate an existing portal to a copy that uses the new beta, or
- Create a new portal and select the “Use the new theme and API reference docs” checkbox