Google Cloud VMware Engine is a fully managed service that lets you run the VMware platform in Google Cloud. VMware Engine provides complete VMware operational continuity and lets you benefit from a cloud consumption model, lowering your total cost of ownership (TCO). VMware Engine also offers on-demand provisioning, pay-as-you-grow, and capacity optimization. This solution includes vSphere, vCenter, vSAN, NSX-T, HCX, and corresponding tools.
Your VMware environment runs natively on Google Cloud bare metal infrastructure in Google Cloud locations and fully integrates with the rest of Google Cloud. Google manages the infrastructure and all the necessary networking and management services so you can consume the VMware platform efficiently and securely.
VMware Engine is fully compatible with your existing VMware tools, skills, and processes. This compatibility enables your teams to manage workloads without disrupting existing policies, such as those related to the following:
- Data protection
- On-demand self-service provisioning of VMware cloud environments. On-demand add and remove capacity.
- Managed VMware platform deployment, upgrade, management plane backup, health and capacity monitoring, alerting, troubleshooting, and remediation.
- Underlay networking services required to enable VMware, including L2/L3 services and firewall rule management.
- Edge-type networking services, including VPN, public IP, and internet gateways. These services run on Google Cloud and carry the security and distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS) protection of Google Cloud.
- Capacity reservation to lower costs.
- High-speed, low-latency connectivity to Google Cloud and the on-premises environment.
- Solution architectures for customers to consume Google Cloud services in an integrated VMware cloud in a public cloud architecture.
- Infrastructure that's fully dedicated to you and physically isolated from infrastructure of other customers.
- Management features such activity management, usage, billing and metering, and user management.
- Operational continuity. Google offers native access to VMware platforms.
The architecture is compatible with your existing:
- Disaster recovery
- Compliance tools
- No retraining. Fully supported VMware platform compatibility lets you use your existing skills and knowledge.
- Infrastructure agility. VMware Engine is delivered as a Google Cloud service, and you can add or reduce capacity on demand.
- Security. Access to the environment through Google Cloud provides built-in DDoS protection and security monitoring.
- Lower cost. The platform is highly engineered and provides high levels of automation, operational efficiency, and economies of scale. Google further lowers costs by publishing solution architectures that take advantage of the presence of VMware in a public cloud.
- Hybrid platform. The service enables high-speed, low latency access to the rest of Google Cloud.
- Infrastructure monitoring, troubleshooting, and support. Google operates your underlying infrastructure as a service. Failed hardware is automatically replaced. You can focus on consumption while Google ensures that the environment runs smoothly.
- Policy compatibility. Keep your VMware-based tools, security procedures, audit practices, and compliance certifications.
- Retire or migrate datacenters
- Scale datacenter capacity in the cloud and stop managing hardware refreshes. Cloud migrations reduce risk and cost by using familiar VMware tools and skills. In the cloud, use Google Cloud services to modernize your applications at your pace.
- Expand on demand
- Scale capacity to meet unanticipated needs, such as new development environments or seasonal capacity bursts, and keep it only as long as you need it. Reduce your up-front investment, accelerate speed of provisioning, and reduce complexity by using the same architecture and policies across both on-premises and the cloud.
- Disaster recovery and virtual desktops in Google Cloud
- Establish remote access to data, apps, and desktops in Google Cloud. High-bandwidth connections let you quickly upload and download data to recover from incidents. Low-latency networks give you fast response times similar to those of a desktop app. Use the VMware Engine portal and familiar VMware tools to replicate all your policies and networking in the cloud. Recovery and replication with VMware Engine greatly reduces the effort and risk of creating and managing DR and VDI implementations.
- Power high-performance applications and databases
- Google provides a hyper-converged architecture designed to run your most demanding VMware workloads. Run Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, middleware systems, and high-performance noSQL databases. Experience the cloud as your own data center with high speed 25 Gbps network connections that let you run hybrid apps that span your on-premises environment, VMware on Google Cloud, and Google Cloud private workloads without compromising performance.
- Unify DevOps across VMware and Google Cloud
- Optimize VMware administration by using Google Cloud services and solutions that can be applied across all your workloads. Access public cloud services without having to expand your data center or re-architect your applications. Centralize identities, access control policies, logging, and monitoring for VMware applications on Google Cloud.