This page is intended for developers and operators who are either new to Google Cloud or are existing customers. If you want to learn more about designing a cost-optimized foundation on Google Cloud, start here. You can also learn more about reducing costs in technical articles, labs and training materials, marketing and consulting content, and presentations from technology conferences like Google Cloud Next OnAir 2020.
Read about cost optimization across an array of topics, from a high-level look at Google Cloud to more in-depth discussions of Compute Engine, Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE), machine learning, serverless, Cloud Storage, BigQuery, and Google Cloud.
- Understanding the principles of cost optimization: whitepaper and blog post. This material presents a cost-optimization strategy that helps you reduce your cloud spending.
- Best practices for optimizing your cloud spending: blog post and podcast. This content walks you through some common areas people tend to miss when looking for ways to reduce costs.
- Google Cloud Architecture Framework describes best practices and makes implementation recommendations. The document goes beyond cost optimization and into detail about products and services from a developer's perspective. The framework aims to help you design your Google Cloud deployment so that it best matches your business needs.
- Find more in our cost-management blog posts.
- 5 best practices for Compute Engine cost optimization. This blog post walks you through best practices to help you analyze and optimize Compute Engine costs using autoscaling, preemptible VMs and more.
- Save money by stopping and starting Compute Engine instances on schedule. This blog post shows how you can optimize your costs by stopping your Compute Engine instances when you are not using them—for example, during non-business hours.
- Cleaning up Compute Engine instances at scale. This tutorial shows how you can automatically delete instances after a specified amount of time.
- Best practices for running cost-optimized Kubernetes applications on GKE. This document discusses GKE features, options, and best practices for running cost-effective applications on GKE to take advantage of the elasticity provided by Google Cloud.
- Optimizing resource usage in a multi-tenant GKE cluster using node auto-provisioning. This tutorial shows you how to run batch jobs using node auto-provisioning and an optimize-utilization profile to scale a multi-tenant GKE cluster, and how to use Workload Identity to control tenant access to resources like Cloud Storage buckets.
- Reducing costs by scaling down GKE clusters during off-peak hours. This tutorial explains how to reduce costs by using a scheduled autoscaler that scales clusters up or down for predictable demand. For example, you can reduce costs by scaling down your cluster to a minimum during the night.
- Running web applications on GKE using cost-optimized PVMs. This tutorial shows you how to handle preemptions while running preemptible VMs (PVMs) on GKE that's serving a web application.
- Best practices for Cloud Storage cost optimization. This blog post offers Cloud Storage tips on topics such as retention periods, access patterns, and performance considerations.
- Cost optimization best practices for BigQuery. This blog post helps you reduce your BigQuery costs without compromising performance.
- Best practices for performance and cost optimization for machine learning. This guide presents best practices for how you can enhance the performance and decrease the costs of your machine learning (ML) workloads on Google Cloud, from experimentation to production.
- Managing cost and reliability in fully managed applications. This blog post presents some practices for keeping costs in check by running applications in a fully managed serverless environment.
- Optimizing for long-term cost management in fully managed applications. This blog post presents several general optimizations that you can make to increase the overall efficiency of your fully managed serverless applications.
- Networking cost optimization best practices: an overview. This blog post walks you through tips and considerations to think about as you design a reliable, sound, and cost-optimized network architecture.
- Cost optimization for Cloud Logging, Cloud Monitoring, and Application Performance Management. This document describes how to understand your usage of these services and manage your costs so that you're not paying for resources you don't use. See also Stack Doctor episode on YouTube.
- Automating cost optimizations with Cloud Functions, Cloud Scheduler, and Cloud Monitoring. This tutorial guides you through how to use Cloud Functions to clean up unused IP addresses and orphaned persistent disks.
Hands-on labs and training
- Managing Google Cloud Costs Qwiklabs Quest. This Quest is most suitable for those working in a technology or finance role who are responsible for managing Google Cloud costs. You learn how to set up a billing account, organize resources, and manage billing access permissions. In the hands-on labs, you learn how to view your invoice, track your Google Cloud costs with Billing reports, analyze your billing data with BigQuery or Google Sheets, and create custom billing dashboards with Data Studio.
- Optimizing Google Cloud Cost Qwiklabs Quest. This Quest is most suitable for those in a Finance or IT related role responsible for optimizing their organization's cloud infrastructure. You learn several ways to control and optimize your Google Cloud costs, including setting up budgets and alerts, managing quota limits, and taking advantage of committed use discounts. In the hands-on labs, you practice using various tools to control and optimize your costs or to influence your technology teams to apply the best practices for cost optimization.
- BigQuery Pricing Codelab. This guide shows you how to collect cost and performance data from Google Cloud's operations suite (formerly Stackdriver) and visualize it in a Data Studio dashboard.
- Cost Management on Google Cloud. This YouTube playlist groups a set of short videos and talks that discuss best practices for monitoring, controlling, and managing your costs with Google Cloud's cost-management tools.
Marketing and consulting content
- Premium Support. Our Google Cloud Professional Services can walk Premium Support customers through a cost-optimization workshop to help you identify relevant and actionable optimizations. Contact your sales representative for more information.
- Google Cloud Cost Management homepage. This is the main homepage for Billing and Cost Management tools. Google Cloud's cost management tools provide the visibility, accountability, control, and intelligence that you need in order to confidently scale your business in the cloud.
- Solving for operational efficiency page. This page offers a central repository for operational efficiency content and programs.
- IT Cost Assessment program. This engagement program helps you understand how your company's IT spending compares to your industry peers, letting you identify and unlock value that you can reinvest for growth.
Next OnAir '20
- Optimize Cost to Performance on Google Kubernetes Engine. In this talk, Google experts introduce the concept of cost/efficiency control with GKE autoscaling. Together with our customer and design partner OpenX, we show the story of tuning and controlling infrastructure utilization while balancing cost through use of GKE autoscalers.
- Cost Optimization on Google Cloud. In this section, Google experts introduce how to establish a cost center of excellence within your cloud practice. During this session, we discuss the intersection of people, process, and technology that occurs when designing and optimizing your cloud spending. We review several pro tips from our customer experiences and hear from OpenX on their experience piloting our Google Cloud Cost Optimization program.
- What's New in Google Cloud Cost Management. In this talk, we discuss how you can reduce complexity and increase the predictability of your Google Cloud costs. And we show how you can gain greater visibility, accountability, control, and intelligence with our cloud-based tools. You hear from product experts about the latest features we've released and what we have planned.
- See other related talks at Next'20 Cost Management session package.