Metrics Explorer lets you build charts for any metric collected by your project:
- You can save charts you create with Metrics Explorer to a dashboard.
- You can share charts you create with Metrics Explorer by their URL.
- You can view the configuration for charts you create with Metrics Explorer in their JSON format.
- You can use Metrics Explorer as a tool to explore data that you don't need on a dashboard.
The following screenshot shows a metric charted on the Metrics Explorer page:
The Metrics Explorer interface consists of two primary regions:
- A configuration region with two tabs:
- Use the Metric tab to select the metric to explore. This tab brings up the metric-selector UI. For detailed information on how to select the metric of interest, see Selecting metrics.
- Use the View Options tab to change the display characteristics of the chart. This tab brings up the chart-configuration UI.
- A chart showing the selected metric.
Finding Metrics Explorer
To view the metrics for a monitored resource using Metrics Explorer, do the following:
- In the Google Cloud Console, go to Monitoring or use the following button:
Go to Monitoring
- In the Monitoring navigation pane, click Metrics Explorer.
- Enter the monitored resource name in the Find resource type and metric text box.
The first time you access any Monitoring functionality for a Google Cloud project, the project is associated with a Workspace. If you've never used Monitoring, then a Workspace is automatically created. Otherwise, a dialog is displayed and you are asked to select between creating a Workspace and adding your project to an existing Workspace.
Using Metrics Explorer
After you open Metrics Explorer, select the monitored resource type and the metric type that you want to view. Metrics Explorer also lets you add filters and group data. For detailed information on performing these steps, see Selecting metrics.
Shared components and documentation
The components of the Metrics Explorer page are used in multiple places. For example, the Add Chart page, used for creating a chart to add to a dashboard, is nearly indistinguishable from Metrics Explorer, offering the same tabs and chart region. The page for creating alerting-policy conditions uses the same metric selector for selecting a target monitored by the alerting policy.
Because these components are shared, they also share documentation. Using charts describes the charts created and used in both Metrics Explorer and on dashboards. The following sections are the most important:
- For information on the Metric tab, including aggregation and other options, see Selecting metrics.
- For information on the View Options tab, see Setting view options.
- For information on using the chart to explore your data, see Working with charts.