Requirements for all migrations
The minimum bandwidth between your source environment and Compute Engine nodes should be the larger of:
- 20 Mbit/sec symmetric.
- The total number of VMs migrated concurrently, multiplied by 0.5 Mbit/sec per VM.
For example, Migrate for Compute Engine 4.5 recommends a minimum of 50 Mbit/sec for production use of up to 100 VMs running in the cloud.
VM operating system requirements
VMs you want to migrate need to run a Supported operating system version.
Ports and connectivity required for using Migrate for Compute Engine are described at Network access requirements
Migrate for Compute Engine components require a specific set of GCP Service Accounts and Roles.
On-premises VMware to Compute Engine migrations
Migrate for Compute Engine supports migrations from VMware vCenter and ESXi.
The latest Migrate for Compute Engine release is compatible with VMware versions:
- vCenter: 5.5U1, 6.0U1, 6.5, 6.5U1, 6.7
- ESXi: 5.5U1, 6.0 U1, 6.5, 6.7
A VMware administrator needs to:
- Deploy the Velostrata On-Premises Backend virtual appliance OVA.
- Create and assign vCenter roles for Migrate for Compute Engine to manage migrations.
Velostrata On-Premises Backend virtual appliance
The Velostrata Backend runs on a VM in your VWware environment. For more information, see Deploying the Migrate for Compute Engine Backend.
AWS to GCP migrations
Configuring AWS to GCP migrations requires privileges to:
- Set up a VPN or Interconnect between AWS and GCP.
- Create an IAM account and assign privileges to it.
Azure to GCP migrations
Configuring Azure to GCP migrations requires privileges to:
- Set up a VPN or Interconnect between Azure and GCP.
- Create the necessary permission in Azure.