When a VM is running in the cloud, you can change the VM's instance type and type and storage policy using the Reconfigure Virtual Machine wizard in the vCenter Web Client.
Reconfiguring a VM
- In the vSphere Web Client, select the virtual machine.
- Right-click the VM and select Velostrata Operations > Reconfigure virtual machine.
- Select the Instance Type.
- Click Next.
- To change the storage policy, select either Write Back or Write Isolation. Click Next.
- Enter the network tags in a comma-separated list. Click Next.
- Review the summary. Changes are noted with the small blue icon.
- Click Finish. Or, if you instead want to leave the current VM configuration unchanged, click Cancel.
Considerations when changing the storage policy
You can change the storage policy from write-back mode to write-isolation mode and vice versa. A typical reason for changing the storage mode is to prompt an instance from a test environment to production.
If you change the storage policy from write-isolation mode to write-back mode, the data is written back to on-premises. After the data is synchronized, you can then run the VM back on-premises.