We wouldn't be able to handle the amount of data we're managing daily without Google and Intel. We've already seen file compression rates improve by 38 percent and image extractions speed up by 24 percent. The combination of the Intel Xeon Scalable processors and preemptible VMs has lowered our costs from $10,000 to $2,700 per petabyte analyzed in GCP.Tim Kelton, co-founder and Cloud Architect, Descartes Labs
- C2 instances: Near real-time performance for the most demanding workloads
- Large SAP certified VMs up to 12 TB
- Availability of free software optimization tools
Intel-powered instance offerings
Intel-powered Google Cloud instances empower your data-driven platforms to store more, process faster, and migrate quicker—with a flexible, high-performance set of instances that work with your budget, not against it.
|CPU frequency (GHz)||vCPUs||Memory||
Preemptible: Up to 80% discount pricing
|(Base | All-core turbo)||(Min | Max)||(Min | Max)|
|Compute optimized for|
|HPC, AI, multiplayer games, VFX rendering, real-time web serving, and more||3.1 | 3.8||4 | 60||16 | 240 (GB)||c2-standard||Yes||2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable|
|Memory optimized for|
|Largest mission-critical databases and in-memory analytics applications||2.5 | 3.4||208 | 416||5.8 | 11.7 (TB)||m2-ultramem||x||2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable|
|Large mission-critical databases and in-memory analytics applications||2.2 | 2.6||40 | 160||.961 | 3.844 (TB)||m1-ultramem||Yes||Intel Xeon E7v4|
|High-end mission-critical databases and in-memory analytics applications||2.0 | 2.7||96||1.43 (TB)||m1-megamem||Yes||1st Gen Intel Xeon Scalable|
|General compute for|
|Most web, business and game apps, compute bursts, dev/test environments, and more||2.8 | 3.4||2 | 80||8 | 320 (GB)||N2-standard||Yes||2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable|
|Memory-intensive web, business, and game apps, VFX rendering, compute bursts, and more||2.8 | 3.4||2 | 80||16 | 640 (GB)||N2-highmem||Yes||2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable|
|Most compute-dependent applications that are non memory intensive||2.8 | 3.4||2 | 80||2 | 80 (GB)||N2-highcpu||Yes||2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable|
|Throughput-dependent applications that are less memory intensive||Dependent on CPU||1 | 96||3.75 | 360 (GB)||N1-standard||Yes||Various Intel Xeon options|
|Most throughput-dependent applications that are also memory intensive||Dependent on CPU||2 | 96||13 | 624 (GB)||N1-highmem||Yes||Various Intel Xeon options|
|Throughput-dependent applications that are non memory intensive||Dependent on CPU||2 | 96||1.8 | 86.4 (GB)||N1-highcpu||Yes||Various Intel Xeon options|
Technology resources and documentation
Highlights from Next ’19
Footnotes for performance claims
- “The new Compute-Optimized VMs offer a greater than 40% performance improvement compared to current GCP VMs.” Bart Sano, VP of Platforms, Google Cloud. Learn more here.
- From Google Cloud’s CPU platforms page: Learn more here. C2 instance all-core turbo CPU frequency is 3.8 GHz, with the lowest first generation N1 machine type base frequency being 2.0 GHz. Note, all-core turbo not available for first generation N1 instances. Improvement from 2.0GHz to 3.8GHz = 90%.
- “The new general-purpose machine types (N2) offer greater than 20% price-performance improvement...compared with first generation N1 machines.” Hanan Yousef, Product Manager of Compute Engine, Google Cloud. Learn more here.
- “The new general-purpose machine types (N2) offer greater than 20% price-performance improvement for many workloads and support up to 25% more memory per vCPU compared with first generation N1 machines.” - Hanan Yousef, Product Manager, Compute Engine. Learn more here.
- “With double the FLOPS per clock cycle compared to previous-generation Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions 2 (Intel® AVX2), Intel® AVX-512, [built into 2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable Processors] boosts performance and throughput for the most demanding computational tasks in applications, such as modeling and simulation, data analytics and machine learning, data compression, visualization, and digital content creation.” Learn more here.
- “Preemptible VMs are up to 80% cheaper than regular instances.” Google Cloud Blog, Preemptible Virtual Machines. Learn more here.